x
Admin

Setting up your Square Terminal: FAQs

Square Terminal is an all-in-one device that will let you take payments, print receipts and manage your items. In this post, we’ll be sharing some common questions and answers about Square Terminal and how you can set it up to work for your business. If you have any questions, let us know in the comments below! 👇

Do I need to connect the Terminal to my phone?

You don’t need to connect the Terminal to your phone in order for it to work. The Square Terminal is a standalone device so you only need to connect it to some kind of internet connection for it to work. You can connect it via WiFi, to a WiFi hotspot or Ethernet if you have the Hub for Square Terminal

Can I use the Square Terminal with Square for Restaurant or Square for Retail?

You cannot download Square for Restaurants or Square for Retail on the Terminal at the moment. 

However, if you are using Square for Restaurants, you can still take advantage of some of the features using the Square Terminal to take tableside orders and payments. You can find out more about how you can use Square for Restaurant with the Terminal in our Support Centre

Can I connect my Terminal to the Square Stand?

At this time, it is not possible to link the Square Stand and push active sales  to the Terminal automatically. As a workaround, you can use Open Tickets to manage orders on multiple devices.

Do I need the Hub to use the Square Terminal?

You don’t need the Hub in order to use the Square Terminal. The hub is only required if you are looking to set up the following:

Can I connect the Terminal to other hardware?

Yes, you can connect your Terminal to:

• USB or Ethernet receipt printers
  • USB cash drawer (receipt printer-driven cash drawers are also supported)
  • USB barcode scanner

You can find a list of supported hardware for the Square Terminal in our Support Centre.  

How do I set up my Square Terminal?

Check out this video on how you can set up your Square Terminal:

How do I take payments with the Square Terminal?

Additional resources:

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Tags (2)
Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

@tranguyen wrote:
Can I connect the Terminal to other hardware?

Yes, you can connect your Terminal to:

• USB or Ethernet printers
  • USB cash drawer
  • USB barcode scanner

Printer driven cash draws should be on this list too. Great way of working within retail to have the cordless/mobile terminal unit connected via wifi & then be able to print a receipt when needed or have the till draw magically open under the counter for cash sales. While the terminal has the printer built in, sometimes you might want the larger rolls or find it’s more cost effective to have a printer & cash draw (ebay!) rather than a specific USB draw. 

@tranguyen wrote:

You can find the full list of supported hardware for the Square Terminal in our Support Centre.  

This is not a ‘full list’ 😉

I’m using one of the Epson printers, which I think might be listed - but I’m using the wifi version which definitely isn’t on the list. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 12
Admin

Hi @Sam_400º, thanks for flagging that - I had a feeling I missed something.

Can you let me know the exact version of the Epson printer you are using? I can check with our team to see if there is any reason why we don't have it on the list in Support Centre. 

Tra
Message 3 of 12
Super Seller

@tranguyen it's the TM-m30 (122B1) - Ethernet, Wifi, Black, PSU, UK

The printer itself is the same as the standard TM-m30 that's on the list but sold with a wi-fi adapter fitted in the back USB port. 

Much nicer than the only other wi-fi printer on offer from Star 👍🏻

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Helen here stepping in for Tra to say thank you for sharing the details of this printer (as well as the other tips about hardware)! We're checking to see if the WiFi model of this printer can be added to the list on the Support Centre - will report back here as soon as possible!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

I'm paying a monthly fee for Square for Retail which gives me a reduced transaction fee of 1.6%. If I buy a Square Terminal to take payment will I have to pay 1.75% again, or will Square honour my reduced fee for subscribing to Retail?

Also, is the integration to Square for Retail available yet?

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hi @the-refill-lady, thanks for your post! As you're using the Square for Retail app, you'll still benefit from the reduced transaction rate when processing via the Square Terminal.

Square for Retail is not available on the Square Terminal yet but you'll still be able to access the same item library on the Terminal. 

Tra
Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

Thanks! I thought I had discussed this with Jess in the past but couldn’t find our conversation.

Message 8 of 12
Super Seller

Hi @tranguyen and @the-refill-lady 

This page shows under the 'Plus' column, "Square Terminal: 1.75% per Chip and PIN or contactless payment", therefore this information is inaccurate? 

Alex Jessey
Message 9 of 12
Admin

Thank you so much for catching this @amjessey! I went back to check with the team and the page you are linking to actually have the correct information, so I'll need to make sure to update my resources.

Apology for the mistake @the-refill-lady! It looks like payments processed from the Terminal will be charged the normal rate of 1.75% even if you subscribed to Retail Plus. Only payments processed through the Square Stand, Square Reader or Square Register is charged the reduced rate of 1.6%. 

Tra
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Okay, thank you - well, that saves me £200, then.

Are there plans for the Terminal to run Square for Retail?

Message 11 of 12
Admin

We're working to make more software available on the Square Terminal including Square for Retail, but I don't have a timeline or date to share just yet. We'll definitely be sharing a Product Update when this rolled out so please do keep an eye out for this!

Tra
Message 12 of 12