x

Should I add a new location, or create a new Square account?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Adding a Non-Profit]

Our business is expanding to include a new non-profit. Our counseling center is the main business and already has an account. The non-profit has its own tax ID and we'd like to use Square to accept payments for certain services, fundraising, and donations. Obviously, we'd like to keep costs of operations as low as possible for the non-profit so we can put the most possible towards our community services. What would you recommend as the lowest maintenance cost option? Would it be less to set up a new "location" or is it the same cost as setting up a new separate account?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Clarity2

Thanks for posting in the Community. With Square, you do have the option of adding a separate location into your existing account to separate sales. Normally this is used when you have the exact same business model, and are opening additional locations within the same scope. If you choose to add a new location for the non-profit, you also have the option of adding in a separate tax-ID for the specific location. Also, the only way to switch between locations would be to do a full sign out, and sign back in to select the different location once it has been presented. 

In this case, I would recommend creating a separate Square account to make the division between the current business and non-profit very clear. This would also minimize the chance of transactions being incorrectly ran on the wrong location. If you choose to create a new account, all you would need is a separate email that has not already been used in our system.

I hope this helps, and let us know in this thread if you have any other questions. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Clarity2

Thanks for posting in the Community. With Square, you do have the option of adding a separate location into your existing account to separate sales. Normally this is used when you have the exact same business model, and are opening additional locations within the same scope. If you choose to add a new location for the non-profit, you also have the option of adding in a separate tax-ID for the specific location. Also, the only way to switch between locations would be to do a full sign out, and sign back in to select the different location once it has been presented. 

In this case, I would recommend creating a separate Square account to make the division between the current business and non-profit very clear. This would also minimize the chance of transactions being incorrectly ran on the wrong location. If you choose to create a new account, all you would need is a separate email that has not already been used in our system.

I hope this helps, and let us know in this thread if you have any other questions. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 10

how do i create a separate square account

Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @lelelucy 👋  

Welcome back to the Seller Community.

At this time, to create a  new Square account, you can visit squareup.com and get started with a new email address. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

I'm opening a new location later this year. The new location will have it's own bank account and FEIN number. I'm trying to keep as much separate as possible from the two locations to minimize liability. The only reason I was considering adding it to my current account was because I was able to get a custom rate for processing with my current account and I didn't want to deal with having two different accounts. From an accounting and liability perspective what would be best? 

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Hi @houseofshaves!

@Alex_ gives a bit of advice here on having multiple locations set up. But to answer your question, you are able to have different bank accounts, EIN numbers, business hours, transactions, reporting, etc. between your locations. From an account and liability perspective, it ultimately doesn't make a difference whether or not you have a second location or a second account.

Come back with any additional questions you might have!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

@nika Would each location receive its own 1099k form at the end of the year?

Message 7 of 10

Hi there, @houseofshaves - I can step in for Nika on this one! 1099-K's will be issued for each qualifying location.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

We have multiple locations, all with different menus. Can we setup a new account or can we separate all locations under one account so menus and reports don't connect? 

Thank you

Message 9 of 10

Hello @afearns, 

Welcome to our Seller Community! 

With Square, you can separate accounts within locations, including creating a menu and pulling reports for each location so long as the correct location has been chosen when logging into Square. Feel free to take a look at how you can Manage Multiple Locations with Square. Let us know if any other questions come up. 

Have a great day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Message 10 of 10