x

Solution for using Square with Ethernet only (no Wifi).

So I'm a Telco-Guy who just setup internet service for a nice young couple starting up a new business.  Unfortunately (for reasons I won't go into) the landlord of the storefront will not allow them to have WiFi enabled on their router. My question, is there any way to use the Square POS system with only a hardwired (Ethernet) internet connection? Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Wow, so that's a new question. I think I can help.

This should be doable but you won't be able to use the Square stand, but you can use any other iPad stand.

you will need:

1. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter
  2. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
  3. a USB wall plug to power the adapter
  4. a lightning cord to go from the lightning to USB adapter to the usb wall plug.

See this article I found for some more information.   https://www.lifewire.com/connect-ipad-to-wired-ethernet-port-1994242

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller

Best Answer

Wow, so that's a new question. I think I can help.

This should be doable but you won't be able to use the Square stand, but you can use any other iPad stand.

you will need:

1. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter
  2. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
  3. a USB wall plug to power the adapter
  4. a lightning cord to go from the lightning to USB adapter to the usb wall plug.

See this article I found for some more information.   https://www.lifewire.com/connect-ipad-to-wired-ethernet-port-1994242

Message 2 of 21

Couldn't the Square Stand USB be used with a USB to Ethernet adapter, then plugged into the network via ethernet?

Thanks

Ann

Message 3 of 21
Admin

Hi Ann! It's not possible to connect an ethernet printer to the Stand by USB! Ethernet printers connect to the Stand by WiFi.

If you're looking for a USB-only set up there's a list of recommended hardware for the Square Stand on our Support Center. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 21

OK, the situation is:

3 Server Stations (each has their own stand and printer connected) need to print their food tickets to the kitchen... we are wired with cat 5 to all stations and the kitchen.... how many printers (I currently have a 742 impact printer) do i need in the kitchen (please tell me I can do it with just one) - 

Message 5 of 21

Hey @anniec, quick question. Are the printers connected to the three stands USB receipt printers? 

You shouldn't have any problems connecting all three stands to the ethernet kitchen printer. You can connect multiple stands to one ethernet printer since it uses Wi-Fi to connect to the stands. 

Message 6 of 21

I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  I want to go totally wired with the square system since we get interference from other wifi routers in the area. Nothing seems to happen when I plug in the usb to ethernet adapter.  The ipad doesn't detect the ethernet connection.  The square stand usb hub doesn't look like it operates as a standard usb hub.  I even plugged in a powered usb hub to the square stand hub with no effect.  This sucks.

Message 7 of 21
Alumni

Hey @danangrest - Sorry that the solutions above didn't work out for you 😕 A suggestion for you might be Boomtown. Boomtown can send a local technician onsite to set up your Square hardware, network and provide technical support for your business. They might be able to find a better network set up for you that works for your desired layout.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 21

i read somewhere that you need a printer with cat 5.

Message 9 of 21

I would think so.  Has anyone given this a try?

Message 10 of 21

I'm trying to set up an ethernet connection via the USB to Ethernet Apple adapter, and I also have no success. I get an error on the iPad that says "USB device not supported". Interestingly, the ethernet adapter works great when connected via the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter instead. I'd agree with the poster above who says that the Square USB hub doesn't appear to work as a normal USB hub. Annoyingly, the USB printer I bought for this setup works fine when connected with the Square Stand USB hub, but is rejected by Square as an unsupported device when connected via the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter.

Message 11 of 21

Just tried this, doesn't work. I get an error stating that the USB device isn't supported. It works fine with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter, though, just not the Square Stand.

Message 12 of 21

We tried this setting but we received an error saying that there's not enough power for the connection. Any other suggestions? We are located inn a secured building and do not have Wi-Fi capability. We already removed our iPad from the square stand and used all 3 recommended cables + wall plug. 

Message 13 of 21
Alumni

Hey @BoosterClub - Were you able to check out my suggestion about Boomtown? They might be of better help if the solutions here are not working as they can send a technician onsite to see what you're dealing with in person.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 14 of 21

I got emails saying several people have responded to this question but when I click on the link in the email the site tells me I don't have sufficient permissions.  When I look at thread I do not see any replies :(. Anyone know why I can't see the replies?  Thanks!

Message 15 of 21
Super Seller

There is a bug in the forum software.  I've tried answering it like 6 times.  Let's see if this posts.  If it does I'll post my answer.

Message 16 of 21

I see the message you posted just now about a bug in the forum 😉.  Thanks for any advice you can give!

Message 17 of 21
Super Seller

OK that worked.  I've been talking to the Seller Community moderators about the issue.

Here's a screenshot of what I posted.

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.37.19 PM.png

Message 18 of 21

I have a Security issue with this too... it is MUCH better to be Hardwired Ethernet verses via Wireless as hardwired is much more secure ( less chance of possible hacking ).....and wireless signals degrade drastically the further away you get from your router.. and even more so if you have electrical interference in the same vacinity.. as I have 2 large display coolers and a Large display Freezer between my counter and the router..... Leaving my only solution to this issue is to wirelessly isolate the Square stand / IPad from the rest of the network using a hidden WSSID...

Im really hoping Square could come up with a future Hardware / Software solution to this very issue

Kylie Giselle,

Certified Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 19 of 21
Admin

@RainbowFoodCoop

Thanks for your post on this. Square Stand it meant for versatility and for the ability to be portable- a one size fits most solution. Although I do understand where it would be logical to have the ability to have an ethernet connection, this would be a limitation that is controlled by how the iPad connects to the internet and Apple itself.

A more suitable option would be the Square Register, which does allow you to hardline in the internet connection via ethernet. It's a dedicated POS and does not rely on external devices to power the App as it's made and managed by Square.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 20 of 21
Beta Member

Four years after this post, but still having the same problem.  Why has Square not allowed the use of Android tablets instead of Ipads?  They have inherent limitations obviously with connecting to a network via a hard line.  I find it puzzling since the Square Register that you manufacture and sell is Android/Linux based for its OS.

Message 21 of 21