x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

So my Reader which takes Swipe or Chip will only take a manual entry which of course costs more in Square Fees.  When I go into setting it says (1) device connected by when I open it is says connecting.

Any thoughts

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 106
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

So sorry to hear about the issues! With a little troubleshooting, we should be able to get you up and running. 

To get started, please try out these tips from our Support Center article: Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device. Check out our Device Comptability page to double check.
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 
  • If you see “Please try inserting again, chip could not be read,” remove the card and insert it again until you hear a click. Keep the card in place until the payment completes.
  • If you see the message “Reader Damaged,” the reader is broken and you’ll need to request a new one.
  • If you’re using an Apple device, make sure the audio volume balance is exactly in the middle. To check, visit your device’s settings > tap General > Accessibility. Scroll down to the hearing section and move the “audio volume balance” directly in the middle.
  • If you’re using an Android device, make sure that any audience enhancement features (such as One M8, Clari-fi, or Beats Bass Boost) are turned off – they can disrupt the connection between your reader and device.
  • If you see the error message, “Register needs VoiceOver to be turned off,” go to your device settings and tap General > Accessibility > VoiceOver and turn off VoiceOver. This may also be “S Voice” or “Talkback” on your device. If that doesn’t do the trick, turn off Mono Audio from your device settings.

If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, you can go ahead and submit a warranty claim.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Customer Support last week. They think it is a problem with my internet connection. I am using mobile data to process my credit cards. It was working fine for a year, now all of

a sudden, it will not connect to the Square. I am having no other problems with my mobile data. My next step

is to contact the Samsung people. Hopefully, this problem can be fixed. I really don't want to switch to a 

different credit card processing company, but it is too expensive to continue to key in everything manually. Am I the only one who has had this problem???? Anyone???

Message 85 of 106

I bought one, it never worked. I read troubleshooting, did everything, didn't work, no time to deal with it.

Message 86 of 106
Square Community Moderator

@busstopclothin @lalala our CS Team can help out further, but they'll need to walk through some things with you to figure out what might be happening. 

You can get a CS case started by reaching out to them directly: Contact Us

Message 87 of 106

My chip part of the mega/chip device isnt working correctly when I connected it to my new Samsung S8. When I plug it in after its charged the app just shows it as the mega swipe option only. Any ideas why?

Message 88 of 106
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

@Jonathan2 When you get a chance please run through these troubleshooting steps for the chip card reader. These steps typically resolve most issues but if you're still having trouble you can submit a warranty claim online and we'll send you a new one.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 89 of 106

My device says contactless + chip reader (####) unavailable.

I have gone through all the process and the reader will not connect.

Message 90 of 106
Admin

@nwckatrina

When all else fails we usually suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the App to see if that solves the issue.  Have you tried that one?

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 91 of 106

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: My Moto G4 will no longer work with chip reader which has only 1 light-newer version with 4 lights?

My Moto G4 version 6.0.70 no longer works with the chip reader which I bought 4 months ago, but only has one light.  I saw some video of the 4 light version...do I need to order THAT particular reader to make sales from my phone again....this is extremely frustrating.  I have deleted the app and re-installed it, but no luck so far. 

Message 92 of 106
Alumni

@MadLinRecords20 - it's always frustrating when your reader stops working when you need to start selling 😖

I checked your device against our compatibility list and only the 4G version is compatible with the chip reader reader you have (1 light). 

If your Moto G4 isn't the 4G version, you'll need to purchase the Contactless Reader (4 lights). If your device is 4G, then try the troubleshooting steps at the top of this thread that I moved you to which should help your reader perform better. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 93 of 106

I do not know what the problem is why everyday I have to go through this to try AND GET THIS CARD READER TO ACCEPT PAYMENTS.  CUSTOMERS DO NOT LIKE TO BE KEPT WAITING!!!!!!!

AND NOW YOUR PHONE SAYS YOU ARE CLOSED FOR THE DAY, THIS IS NOT WORKING FOR ME!!!!

Message 94 of 106

Hello @greathair777.

This is not the experience we want you to have. I'm happy to send you some troubleshooting steps. However, I do need some details regarding your device. Can you please send me a private message so I can gather more information. 

In the meantime, I would suggest making sure your Square App and hardware are up to date. You can also take a look at these troubleshooting steps here.

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 95 of 106

My square is not working.  I need a new one and I would like the little box one to use with credit cards.     

Message 96 of 106

My chip reader was working fine until a few days ago. I have gone through the troubleshooting checklist and nothing has helped. The reader claims to be connected, it acknowledges that a card has been inserted and also tells me to connect a reader. Is this a software error or did my chip reader die?

Message 97 of 106
Alumni

@jamecham

Sorry to hear. Since you ran through all troubleshooting for the app, your device and the reader, file a warranty claim for a replacement as mentioned above in Sean's answer. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 98 of 106

Too late - my square stand arrives today 😐 thank you tho

Message 99 of 106

Same 😕

Message 100 of 106

Why does my reader keep disconnecting from my phone which is within 2 feet

Message 101 of 106

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your reader, @jcavalc898aol. I've merged your post to this thread - take a look at these troubleshooting steps and let us know how you go!

Message 102 of 106

my phone app is stuck i need help now!!!

Message 103 of 106

Hi @LLester19560,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience! 

Have you had a chance to go through these troubleshooting steps yet? Where are you stuck in the app? I'll keep an eye out for your reply 😊

Message 104 of 106

its working again thanks

Message 105 of 106