x
Super Seller

Square Online Store and age verification?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Curb pick up, Online,Delivery...... Age Restricted products.... Face to Face Sale....]

We are starting food delivery, But we sell Wine and want to know if online is ok? we where told in the past face to face only for sales that require ID........

Since these go through "Online" but get delivered Face to Face How dose this apply? I assume it would be ok BUT if in person They do not have ID(or Proper ID) at time of pick up face to face... Just cancel the sale....... IS this allowed? I do not want to jeperdise my square account... 

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Great news! 🍻 

After successful Beta testing, we just launched alcohol delivery with DoorDash as our first courier partner, in selected states where it is legal  🎉 When buyers add alcohol to the cart as part of an On Demand Delivery order, they will see a footnote in the cart stating that ID verification is required

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 26 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

I operate a craft beer taproom. One killer feature I think square could use since it has the hardware already in place is the ability to swipe a driver's license (or other customer ID) to do an age verification. Not looking to spot fake ID's but just read the ID and display if the person is over or under 21. That would be a huge asset for all of us using square with alcohol sales!

Message 2 of 29

Age verification for certain items would be an amazing feature to have. Either by manual entry by the employee, or through the use of a 2D barcode scanner.

Message 3 of 29
Alumni

Thanks for adding this feature request, @natem-mtv-ak! I'm noting it down to share with our Product Team. 

Message 4 of 29
Admin

Thanks @Nukebrewer! This isn't a request we've heard yet in the Community but I'll share your interest in this feature with the Point of Sale team. I can see how it would help to have this integrated in the same device from which you take payments.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 29

I think it will be a “killer feature” for everyone that is in the alcohol industry and will tilt the scale to square vs any other POS. 

Message 6 of 29

Yes.   I second that.  This would be a fantastic feature!

Additionally, I run a brunch spot in Texas and can't sell alcohol before 10am on Sundays.  Is there a feature that would block those sales based on time?  I assume this would be useful at the end of the night with bars too.

Message 7 of 29

I am the owner of a vape shop, and I need to require a birthdate before a purchase is finished. Due to the laws changing, anyone to purchase nicotine products must be 21 years or older. Please help.

Message 8 of 29
Admin

Hey @Pitvaperz-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

As of right now, we do not currently have this feature. It's been requested before, and we've passed the suggestion onto our Product Team. When we have an update on this feature, we will make sure to post it in this thread. Thanks for your patience with this.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 29
Beta Member

@isabelle This is by far a HUGE feature that is missing from Square!! We are a wine & liquor store in NY and we have very strict liquor laws (and very huge fines if they are broken)

We run our employees through training and require all IDs to be checked, but even then human error happens. As the owners, it would be AMAZING to have this feature be a double-check, so employees have to input a birthdate before any sale. We used to have it on our old POS system and you could turn it on or off in the backend based on your need.

Please PLEASE let the product team know this feature is extremely important to us, and we for one would be willing to pay little extra to have it as an add-on!

Message 10 of 29

Has this feature been added yet? Also- is there a way to do age verification without a pop up? Because a pop up is blocked by pop up blockers. 

Message 11 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hello @d8nite,

Thanks for popping into the Seller Community. Happy to have you!

You cannot do age verification without the pop-up, this is still a feature request.  I suggest submitting a new feature request on our Ideate Board, which is our new process for tracking feature requests. Also if you have removed your pop-up blockers and this is still happening, have you tried clearing your cache on your browser? 

Message 12 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

We would love to have the ability to scan someone’s ID to verify they are of legal age, it is not expired etc, and this could be with an integrated partner or something you develop internally, but being able to scan the ID for verification and it show that it was scanned and verified on the transaction should we ever have a complaint an underage person made a purchase. 

Message 13 of 29

@Adamscottsmith

This has been a popular request over the years that we are still tracking. I'm moving your post to the original feature request thread so you're alerted of any new updates that come through!

Danny
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 14 of 29
Admin

Hey @dasap1234-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Sorry for the delay in response! 😬

We provide our sellers with the ability to create an age verification popup, however it won't prevent checkout if they are indeed underage. We have a Compliance Team here at Square that may be able to look into your business and suggest some other options, or at least provide some guidance. I would suggest sending them an email explaining your business and your situation with age verification and Online Orders, so they have record of you reaching out regarding the issue.

Thanks again for your post! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 15 of 29
Super Seller

Thank you, Can you link me on how to do the pop up? 

Message 16 of 29
Admin

Yes @dasap1234

I hyperlinked it in my previous message.

Click here.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 17 of 29

We're a brewery that is starting to ship beer within the state.  When I look at the "create shipping label" options in the Weebly store, there's a checkbox for adding signature confirmation, but there's no option for requiring an adult signature as we'd need for shipping alcohol.  I assume the two aren't interchangeable; is this a feature that could be added?  I know we're not the only brewery using the platform, and I assume many of us will be facing the same problem.

Message 18 of 29

Hey there, @FBCSeattle -

Welcome back to the Community! 

You're correct. There isn't an option to do "adult only signatures", so it would be considered a feature request. Especially in this climate, I can see how you and other sellers would benefit from this. 

I am going to tag this for our Product Team to add you to the list of other sellers requesting this Feature. This helps them keep track of the number of sellers asking about this feature request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 29

I would like to request this as well please.

In the meantime (to the OP) I have come up with an idea that might help. I am going to add it as a purchasable item in my online store. I have made it clear in several places that we will not replace pirated boxes without the sig confirmation, and where they can find the purchase info.

I hope to see the sig confirmation as a shipping option soon, but until then I think this will do as a work-around.

Message 20 of 29

I also request this option. The UI via UPS is cumbersome and not intuitive. I would much rather be able to utilize the UI from Square to create shipping labels but we can't do so until this feature is added.

Message 21 of 29