x

Square Register Reboots During Credit Card Transactions?

We have been having a problem since the Square Register update on December 22. It happens multiple times per day at seemingly random times.

When a customer inserts their card, the screen goes black and the "Configuring Device" message pops up. As a result, that transaction does not get recorded, and if we catch the error, we have to run the transaction again.

The problem is intermittent. Sometimes we'll go 5 or ten transactions without a problem, followed by two or more in a row with the black screen of doom.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @bccr 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us once again here on the Seller Community! While this issue is no bueno, it is very good to hear from you again!

This sounds very strange, indeed. So sorry to hear that this has been an ongoing discrepancy for you. I think we may be able to help!

Often times software updates can include a few tweaks to glitches that may rear their head. I would recommend following these reset troubleshooting steps. This process will essentially bring your Register back to factory settings - but no need to fear! - all of your items and settings will be saved at any account level. You will however, need to recreate any printer stations or other peripherals you may have.

Keep me updated on your progress and whether or this step helps!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2