x

Square Register Update - Card on File

My customer's are on recurring charges.  2 of my customer's (whose credit cards are saved to their profiles) have new billing addresses and their monthly charge was declined due to different billing zip code.  After I updated their new billing address, I am not able to charge their cards on file.  Why is that? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hey @Mgllopez, welcome to the community and thanks for flagging this. That does sound strange. 🤔

Are you still encountering an error when attempting to charge their card? If so, please get in touch with our Support Team — they'll be able to take a closer look at specifics. Hope this helps get you in the right direction!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 5

Thanks for your reply @Tom Last week I did contact support about this.  One person said I need to update the billing address then charge the card and I should be fine. Didn't work.  Called back, a different person said I need to swipe the same card again as the card is still linked to the old address, but a another swipe of the same card would update it to the new billing address? Does that make sense? 

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

@Mgllopez It sounds like the actual zip code tied to the payment card has been changed. You might need to update the card on file that's tied to those customer profiles. 

Have your customers pay the invoice with the new payment cards, and save the new cards on file as well. This should do the trick for you, but if you run into any trouble let us know. 

Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your input guys.

After trying a few things with Support on the phone, we discovered that I was able to charge the original card on file (with the updated billing zip code) through the app but not through the dashboard.  Hopefully this will be fixed.  

Message 5 of 5