x

How can I track my purchases/items from my vendor using Square for Retail?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Tracking my suppliers]

i want to be able to input my receipts where i buy from suppliers. where and how do i do that?

ie: soap supplier ingredients, chicago il, i paid $24.99

they are my vendor (acct payable)...where in SQUARE RETAIL do i enter this information

Message 1 of 122
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @texasbathhouse.

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

It sounds like you're referring to purchase orders. Purchase orders are a feature that comes with Square for Retail. They are a way to track the supplies/goods you're purchasing from your vendor. You can input the cost that you paid for them, the vendor, and each item  you received. 

Here is a Seller Community post about Purchase Orders.

Follow creating a purchase order, take a look at these instructions:

1. Log in to your online Square Dashboard > Items > Inventory Management > Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you have received.
  2. Click Receive All or Receive None. To partially receive inventory, click Receive in the product row > enter the amount received > Save.

Receiving items through purchase orders is a great way to take bulk action on your inventory. Updating your stock levels through a purchase order allows you to mark your stock as Received, which will be included in your Inventory Plus reporting.

Once you’ve marked a purchase order as received, the stock will be reflected in your inventory counts and reports.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 122
121 REPLIES 121
Beta Member

Hi there- I recently upgraded to Square for Retail. I am finding the help sections less than thorough for Retail & its added features. What is the time frame to adding a "Vendor" column to the Item Sales Report? If I can see all the items listed under each vendor (under Inventory/soon Items Library), then in theory it should be an easy fix to add that column to a report that can be exported. I honestly can't see it being more than one hour worth of work for the coding. Meanwhile, retailers are spending way more than that cross-referencing. Also it's a feature other POS offer, such as ShopKeep. Please make this simple fix a priority.
Message 2 of 122

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Searching inventory by vendor- Inventory Management

I just started my 30 day free trial for Square for Retail, and have run into a big problem.  I need to search item quanties by vendor in the invenory file. I have not been able to find a way to do that.  What am I overlooking?

Message 3 of 122
Square

Hello!

We don't currently have the ability to search items by vendor in Square for Retail - you can search by SKU or item name. 

We're always working on the features in Square for Retail and hope to continue to add flexibility to our search in the future.

Message 4 of 122
Beta Member

This needs to be added big time!

We get visits from sales reps that represent multiple vendors. In Quickbooks POS we were able to run a report by individual vendors so we can quickly reorder things. 

I'm starting to see that maybe switching over to Square was a bad idea, there are not enough features to support what we have been doing with Quickbooks. 

It takes way too much time to look up products and do research on when it was sold and who it was sold to. 

Message 5 of 122
Super Seller

@Tom This really needs to be addressed. 

Perhaps in   Inventory -> Vendors -> (Select Vendor) -> Item Library   there should be Current Quantity. 

I agree with the other users, the Vendor part of Square Register seems half-baked. 

There are Custom Reports, but no ability to do any reports by Vendor or Current Quantity. 

I love a lot about Square, but Vendor issues must be addressed so our store can reorder efficiently. Otherwise, we will need to look into another system. 

Message 6 of 122

Thanks for the feedback @TCSlaguna!

I'll make sure to share this with the Inventory Team. 

Message 7 of 122

This issue is a pretty basic part of a POS system's functionality where retail businesses are concerned. It has been over a year since this issue was raised by @TCSlaguna, and their suggestion for adding quantity/stock levels in the items list of the vendor information section is exactly where I expect to be able to sort this kind of inventory information. 

A logical addition would involve being able to generate purchase orders straight from that screen, populating all low or no stock items into a purchase order for that vendor.

As it is, we have to toggle back and forth from Vendor/Items to the Item Library, make a note on paper as to which items from that vendor need restocked, and then take that written list and input it into a purchase order. It's enormously inefficient and frustrating. And the more orders we're writing each week, the more frustrating it becomes.

Has there been any progress on this?

Message 8 of 122

What I ended up doing is making "categories" with the vendor name.  So the vendor is essentially in there twice (as a vendor and as a category).  When I create the product, I put the vendor in vendor, then I use drop down to put the category as the same vendor.  Now I can search by "CATEGORY" which is actually "VENDOR" and it shows me everything from that vendor I sell and how many are on hand.  Made ordering much simpler, although Square should just get their **bleep** together and do what we ask.

Message 9 of 122

@ajs420 That is pretty ingenious, but I use categories for tracking sales and profit margins of my different departments of inventory...helps me budget my inventory-on-hand proportionally. So, for example, I don't want to have 50% of my inventory tied up in paper products if paper products only account for 20% of my sales.

I just have to hope that renewed discussion on this issue will renew Square's attention to it. But thanks for sharing your hack! It may be a useful solution for others reading through this thread. 

Message 10 of 122

Is there a time frame for this functionality ? This is quite critical for inventory Management and reporting ... 

Message 11 of 122
Alumni

Hi @EuricaHome - I checked in with our team, but don't have any updates to share at this time. Can you give a little bit more detail about how this feature would help your business? It really helps the team to hear the details of what you'd like to see in a feature!

Message 12 of 122

Running reports based on vendor would also be very helpful for me. I sell some items on consignment. One item is handmade baskets. I have multiple basket makers and have named each of the weavers under Vendor to keep track of who to pay. I would like to be able to do the following: 1. run a report showing how many baskets I have in my inventory from each vendor, 2. run a report of sales by vendor. This will allow me to easily determine how much to pay each weaver and determine what weaver is seling the most. 

Message 13 of 122

The ability to run reports by vendor: sales by vendor, inventory levels by vendor, purchsasing by vendor. All of these are critical to a retail store. Square lags so far behind on critical reporting features. Do you even have a retail consultant to help develop the program? A retail store is not a restaurant...

Message 14 of 122
Admin

Thanks for your post @tinrun and I'm sorry for the frusration this has caused. The Retail team is still working on improving reporting and adding features so you can run reports by vendor. Hopefully we'll have an update soon but I can't share a specific timeline here in the Community. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 15 of 122

Helen, it’s quite frustrsting to see replies like these ones over and over. I inderstand you may not be able to post and share some info in an open forum so i will apreciare if you can provide an update / roadmap with dates via email to your actual paying customers. Thanks and happy new year! [personal information redacted]

Message 16 of 122
Alumni

Hey @EuricaHome - We apologize for the frustration, but we are unable to share timelines of products or features in development even via email. One of the reasons we don't currently do that is because as priorities change, plans and timelines change as well, and we don't want to have "promised" something only to have to go back on that later. We are currently working on a way to give our Sellers more insight on our progress regarding feature requests, but in the meantime, subscribing to threads will be the best way to stay informed on updates to a feature that you're interested in.

Thank you for your understanding and happy new year to you as well!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 17 of 122

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can I run a report of current inventory by vendor?

Hello!  I am reasonably new to Square for Retail and cannot figure out how to run a report of current inventory by vendor.  Any insights would be so helpful and appreciated!!!

Message 18 of 122
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @ItIsWhatItIs! At this time there isn't a way to create this specific report by vendor. I've added your post to this thread so we can track interest in this report. We'll update this thread to let you know if this report is available in future!  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 19 of 122

Thank you so much!  It would be VERY valuable for me!

Message 20 of 122
Super Seller

@Helen@Tom, This is a fundamental necessity for retail stores. I cannot understand why it has been over 6 months and we still do not have this feature. 

Message 21 of 122