x

Square Setup

I will be starting a business in the next week, I will be using square I have no idea how to set it up, will the square work on any laptop and notebook?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Developer

You need to use a tablet (like an Apple IPad) for your actual register. You can use a phone as well, but it's kind of small.

Use your notebook or a PC for configuring your store and managing items and prices through squareup.com.

When you log into the mobile app, everything you added in your dashboard at squareup.com will be on the mobile device.

Message 2 of 5
Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @mtnwswbob!

@ttaylor705 - Welcome to the Community and thank you for choosing us as your payments processor! As @mtnwswbob said, you'll need a tablet in order to run the Square Point of Sale app which will be your cash register. You can check out if the device your interested is compatible by visiting our Device Compatibility list and see which of our hardware will work with it.

We encourage you to go through our Get Started Guide for the basics in how to set up your account. It also includes breakdown of the different features we offer to help your business succeed.

We hope that helps get you in the right direction. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 3 of 5

HELP NEEDED PLEASE...

I just created a Square account using my laptop which takes me to the dashboard.  It seems like I need to set up my account from here but I am not sure what is the first step in doing so.  When I click on the Activate button and Verify Identity, I am getting an error message stating that I am not allowed to accept online payments.  Do I need to skip this line and go on to the other sections like linking my bank account etc before I will be allowed to accept online payments or is there something else I need to do?  I am stuck here and not sure how to proceed to complete the process and I can't get a hold of anyone from Square support to walk me through the process....can anyone help, please?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Rosie33,

I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

It sounds like your account isn't activated for payment processing yet. In order to accept payments online, or on a Square Reader you need to pass an identity verification step first. While you can link your bank account before this step, you wouldn't be able to take payments until we've successfully verified your identity. If you're still having trouble, give us a call on 1-855-700-6000, our team is available from Mon - Fri, 6am-6pm Pacific Time. 

Message 5 of 5