x

Square Terminal hub

does a Square terminal need to be connected via usb connection to the Square Terminal hub for the hub to power a printer? Or can it hook to the hub wirelessly?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

Depends on the type of printer you have @ptf

Wifi printers connect wirelessly to your router so you won't need the Hub. Once connected, the printer connects to the Terminal through the shared Wi-Fi network.

Similar to wifi printers, Ethernet printers don't need the hub to connect either. Instead the printer's LAN cable plugs into the back of an internet router so it can communicate to your Terminal over wifi. Configure this type of printer from Settings > External Printers.

For USB printers, the Hub is required. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10

That was not my question though. I need the Square terminal to operate a phone  line run cash drawer operated by a USB printer. My question was in order for the hub to operate that USB printer  does the Square terminal ALSO need to be connected to the hub VIA CABLE or will the terminal operate the USB printer if the terminal is unplugged away from the hub and working wireless-ly?

In other words- Does the Square terminal have to be actually connected to the Square Terminal Hub with the microUSB cord to power the USB printer that is plugged into the Square Terminal Hub. 

This information is not available anywhere I have found. I would think that it would operate wirelessly but I need to know before I purchase one because if it will not work unplugged,  I will switch to an ethernet printer that I have. But that switch will require me to get some other hardware and run some cable as well. 

Message 3 of 10

And another question when using the square hub to run a USB printer can that printer be accessed by other devices such as a tablet with a card reader?

Message 4 of 10
Alumni

Hi @ptf,

Stepping in for Justin here. I'm trying to understand the exact setup you have, when you have a chance, please attach photos to this thread of the current items and hardware equipment you have, and a quick breakdown again of what you are trying to achieve. Thank you!

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 5 of 10

Really all I need to know is if the Square Terminal needs to be connected to the Square terminal hub via the micro USB connection in order for the USB printer to operate. I do not understand why this is such a difficult question. I also need to know of other devices running Square can recognize and run the printer plugged into the terminal hub. I know that they could not with the POS. 

But here is what I have:

I have broken ipad and a Square point of sale. Up until the ipad screen broke we ran a USB printer (star micronics) hooked to a phone line cash drawer on the POS terminal as our only register. We took orders on the POS from both the walk up window and the drive thru window as they are next to each other and printed both kitchen tickets and receipts on the Star printer which opened the cash drawer. This year due to COVID we are drive thru only. So in order to speed up the drive thru process I added an ethernet kitchen printer and a tablet with a scanner/ and chip reader. We purchased a Square terminal to replace the ipad POS. So now my cash drawer opening when someone pays cash is obsolete. I need a cash drawer that operates ASAP. Not that I don't trust my employees but it is silly not to have a locking cash drawer when I have it. The orders when we have a line of cars are taken on the tablet outside. CC are paid outside. Cash orders are open tickets and paid at the window closing them out with the square terminal. But the cash drawer has to be opened manually. I need the cash drawer to open when the cash payment is entered into the square terminal and I need the square terminal to be able to be carried to the window and not be connected via a micro USB cord. Also if we open up the pick up window I would like to have a person taking orders at both the pickup window and the drive through window. And the cash drawer to open via both devices so I need to know if the printer connected to the USB hub via Square Terminal is recognizable to other devices. 

I have another Star micronics printer that is ethernet capable and phone line cash drawer ready but I will need to buy a new switch as I am in a multi use facility and our other business needs all of our current ethernet slots. And running cable to a front of a building is not possible easily due to the buildings age. 

Message 6 of 10

In case anyone else is following this thread: According to support YES the Square terminal has to be connected via the microUSB cord to the Square Terminal hub in order for the USB's to power. So in order to run a USB printer from a Square Terminal and thus a printer run cash drawer or even a USB cash drawer the Square terminal has to be plugged into the hub via the microUSB cable. It will not work wirelessly to the hub to control the USB ports. 

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

Hi @ptf,

Thanks so much for taking the time to elaborate, and for sharing the ultimate answer/resolution in this thread. It's very helpful for any other sellers that may be seeking the same information. Thanks again!

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

I bought the square terminal hub specifically for connecting my usb printer to my square terminal. Now you are saying it can’t be done? I was told the only way to use a usb printer with the square terminal wirelessly was to buy the hub. The hub has an Ethernet cable connecting to my router. Why would it even have an Ethernet port if not to connect usb devices wirelessly to the square terminal? The Ethernet cable connects to my wireless router, the same router my square terminal connects to via WiFi. I don’t understand, why would you have an Ethernet cable running from a usb hub to the router if you are unable to access your usb devices. What other purpose would there be for the Ethernet cable? I’ve been trying for days to figure this out. I need help.

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi again, @Unhappybuyer - just dropping in on this thread to let you know that I also answered some of your concerns in your previous posted thread here. Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Message 10 of 10