x

Square bar code inventory management

We want to buy a Square bar code scanner for a retail Gift Shop and our volunteers are senior citizens. We have the Square regular system set up. The iPad print is just too small for us to read comfortably. We need to start from scratch with our Square Bar Code scanner and print our own bar codes. Which printer is recommend for the Square bar code scanner? We carry about 250+ varied items.
Does the Square (new App) support it with items stock.
We are novices so need an understandable answer..

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@Jackie501 Thanks for your post!  

If you're using the Square Point of Sale app we don’t officially support one specific bar code or label printer — but some customers have had success with the Dymo 450 label printer

It sounds like you might have been looking at the Square for Retail app. That app is new and does have more options for label printing. But keep in mind it costs $60 per register to subscribe to Square for Retail.

And one final thing, you can change the font size of the text on your iPad. When you update your iPad settings, text size in the Point of Sale app will increase too:

1. Tap the Settings icon on your iPad.
  2. Tap General > then tap Accessibility.
  3. Tap Larger Text and then toggle the switch ON.
  4. At the bottom of the screen you'll see a slider that you can drag right or left to increase/decrease the font size as needed.

If you have any more questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

@Jackie501 Thanks for your post!  

If you're using the Square Point of Sale app we don’t officially support one specific bar code or label printer — but some customers have had success with the Dymo 450 label printer

It sounds like you might have been looking at the Square for Retail app. That app is new and does have more options for label printing. But keep in mind it costs $60 per register to subscribe to Square for Retail.

And one final thing, you can change the font size of the text on your iPad. When you update your iPad settings, text size in the Point of Sale app will increase too:

1. Tap the Settings icon on your iPad.
  2. Tap General > then tap Accessibility.
  3. Tap Larger Text and then toggle the switch ON.
  4. At the bottom of the screen you'll see a slider that you can drag right or left to increase/decrease the font size as needed.

If you have any more questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 8

Thank you Helen so much for your information. Especially the part about the $60. per register per month.

Message 3 of 8

The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.

I am interested in adding inventory to my Square account, I take payments only.  How much does is cost. Can I add barcode scanners to read SKUs.  I am a fabric, yarn, etc. store.

Message 4 of 8
Admin

Welcome to Square and the Seller Community @paisleythreads! Happy to have you here. 😀

Since you're wanting to set up a bar code scanner that can read SKUs, I moved your inquiry over to this thread so you can check out @Helen's suggestion on using Square for Retail (which you'll want to use if you plan on setting up bar codes and SKUs.) 

Have a look on this thread and let us know if any other questions come up!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 8

I found this article because of the title "Square bar code inventory management" but I'm not seeing an answer that would help our particular situation. So, I figured I would ask - can the bluetooth bar code scanner not only scan our barcodes in order to check people out but also help us during end-of-the-year inventory in making sure our items library is up-to-date and correct in regards to product and quantity?

Message 6 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @A2Dsales! You can use it to scan and bring up the items in your inventory. From there, you can check the stock that the system says you have versus the physical inventory in front of you, but you won't be able to do a total year end report with them by, say, scanning the number of items you have and then seeing if there is a mismatch. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 8

Hi.  I we have just received two barcode scanners, one USB for our square register and another bluetooth one to use with the app on our iphone.  We run Square Retail Plus.  I was hoping that the bluetooth scanner would help me for end of year stocktakes.  I want to be able to walk around our store and scan each product, and check it against what is in our square inventory.  Is there anyway to do this? best wishes, Chantal

Message 8 of 8