x
Square

Square for Retail - New Feature Roundup

Last updated: October 2nd, 2017

Hi Community! I’m excited to share some new features that we’re rolling out in the Square for Retail solution. Square Retail is a separate app - now available in the App Store - that adds on a suite of often-requested features to the Point of Sale app. Check out all of our recently launched features below:

*New* in October 2017

Cross-location Inventory

When you tap “More Info” in an inventory search result, you can view details about your stock in other locations. We also provide the store address, phone number, and business hours.

You can sort and search through your results by stock count, distance, or alphabetical name.

When a product is out of stock at your location, you will now see an out of stock indication in the inventory search result.

EndlessAisle_Hero1.pngEndlessAisle_Hero2.png

Receive Purchase Orders from the Square Retail app

You can now receive purchase orders right from the Square Retail app! When your products come in, you can receive them directly from the app. When receiving a purchase order, you can also add optional fees to your order, such as shipping and taxes, to accurately reflect those costs in your Cost of Goods Sold report. You can also view the status of all your Purchase Orders on the app, whether they’ve been fully received, partially received, or are still on their way and the date to expect them on. Try it today with the Square Retail app!

HeroScreen-ReceivePO-02 (1).pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-03.pngHeroScreen-ReceivePO-04.png

-

Advanced Label Printing 

Square for Retail now lets you choose and customize what you want to print on your product labels -- choose between SKU, Item Name, Variation Name, Barcode, and Price. You can print labels for your product categories or  even print directly from a purchase order.

Barcodes_v2__Endless_Aisle_v1__Fast_Receive_POs_20170821_-_Google_Docs.jpg 

Create and Print Bar code Labels

You can create and print labels using the following labels, their respective printing templates, and supported printers noted by the label manufacturer:

Avery Easy Peel Address Labels 1” x 4”

DYMO LW Durable 1/2” x 1-7/8”

DYMO LW Durable 3/4” x 2-1/2”

Note: If you'd like your labels to contain a scannable barcode, make sure your items have a SKU assigned to them. Learn more about creating and managing items online.

To create and print labels from your Square Dashboard:

1. Sign in to the Inventory Management section of your online Square Dashboard > click Stock.
  2. Click Print Labels

Labels 1.png 

3. Select a label type and location. 

Labels 2.png

4. Select which products you’d like to print labels for and how many.

5. Click Create > download or print labels.

Labels 4.png

6. Click Done

Labels 3.png

Receive inventory from the Square Retail app 

You can now add stock to your inventory right from the Square Retail app.

To add stock right from the app:

1. From the cart view, tap the lower left three-dot Action Menu.
  2. Tap Manage Inventory > Add Stock.
  3. Search or scan items to add stock > enter stock amounts. Scanning the same item multiple times will add the amount being added. You can also scan multiple items and adjust their quantities afterward.
  4. Once all items have been added, tap Finish Adding Stock.

Make sure your Square Retail app is up to date and give it a whirl! We’ll be adding a few more features to this flow soon, so as always, keep an eye out for more product updates!

Refunding transactions to a Gift Card

If you'd like to issue a customer store credit or perform an exchange for an item, you can do so by issuing a refund to a Square Gift Card.

Issue a Refund to a Square Gift Card for Store Credit

1. From the Retail app, tap View > Transactions.
  2. Search the receipt number or full credit card number to find the transaction.
  3. Tap the transaction to refund > Issue Refund.
  4. Select item(s) to refund > tap Refund.
  5. Select item(s) to Restock or Skip Restock.
  6. Tap Add Gift Card or Swipe > swipe or enter the gift card number.
  7. Tap Refund.

Exchange an Item Using Square Gift Cards

To exchange an item, follow the steps above, then use the newly-loaded gift card to process the sale of the new item.

Since you’ve made it this far, I’d like to encourage you to subscribe to this thread because we’ll be updating it with yet another incredible new feature in a few days. Thanks for taking the time to read this update and for being part of the Seller Community. As always, please let us know if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback -- this is how we make Square better for you!

Make sure your Square Retail app is up to date and give it a whirl! We’ll be adding a few more features to this flow soon, so as always, keep an eye out for more product updates!

Add items from your Favorites List

The Favorites list gives you access to your most popular items in one tap so there's no need to manually search for them during every sale.

Create a Favorites List

1. From the cart view, tap the heart icon on the top-right corner.
  2. Tap Edit > Add Favorite.
  3. Check the item(s) you'd like to add to your Favorites list.
  4. Tap Done.

Add a Favorite to Your Cart

2. Select an item and applicable modifiers.
  3. Tap Add.

Edit Your Favorites List

2. Tap Edit.
  3. From here, sort items using by holding and dragging the three horizontal lines to the left of an item or tap Remove to remove an item from your Favorites list.
  4. Tap Done to save changes.

Message 1 of 77
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Square for Retail - New Feature Roundup

@beachgirl888, which Label Type are you selecting on the Create Labels screen? You'll need to select the Dymo label type that matches the label size in your printer. We currently support the DYMO 1738595 - LW Barcode Labels 3/4" x 2 1/2" and DYMO 30346 - LW Library Barcode Labels 1/2" x 1 7/8". You will then be able to print the resulting PDF to your Dymo; each page of the PDF is a single label.

76 REPLIES 76

Edited_

what bar code language does this use? For some reason my scanner is not reading it on my virtual terminal within the dashboard. 

okay got scanner to work but item is set at $30 in item set up but scans in at $1 !?

Message 2 of 77
Admin

Hey @LiaandJet, thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the trouble with getting this item set up. That definitly sounds odd — if you haven't already, please contact our Support Team and provide the name of the item with this issue. They'll be able to take a deeper dive into your account and make sure this gets sorted out.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 77

Hi there, Is the square for retail app going to be available internationally soon? for Europe/Belgium? I would love to have the print labels / barcode possibility. Big time saver !! 

Thanks in advance,

Sunnybelgium

Message 4 of 77
Alumni

@Sunnybelgium thanks for your post! We don't have a timeline for Square for Retail international expansion, but appreciate hearing that it's something you'd be interested in. We'll make sure to post here if we have any updates!  

Message 5 of 77

Thanks @Kpay and good luck

Message 6 of 77

That all looks great, but I am in need of another Most Important feature...

Item cost reporting needs to be much easier. Anywhere I can see an items metrics, I should be able to add cost as an option.

For example:

From my Dashboard I go to Sales, all the way to the right of the report there is a little plus sign (+), I should be able to choose item cost from here.

Or more importantly, from my Dashboard I go to Items. From here cost of goods should ALWAYS  be included. It is THE MOST VITAL peace of information in this report. Every item and every variation of those items should include cost. 

To make things more consice you should also make it easy to change the cost from this same screen. No need to bulk upload, or "receive" a PO, or adjust stock...

Those are very convoluted ways to adjust such a vital piece of information.

Also when doing any of those other forms of adjustment, there is a fatal flaw... You cannot set the cost without actually adding an item... (like you can't say it cost $10 but there are 0) I should be able to set the item cost of any item, whether or not it is in stock. This is extremely usefull when you know the cost of NEW items not yet received, and would like to get a head start on receiving new inventory. Or you know that item cost has changed and you simply want to update it.

Item count alone is not enough control over my inventory. I MUST be able to easily see my item cost.

When the new square for retail was announced the screenshots included some of these features... what happened? Why is this not in the initial release?

Example: Look at the screenshot in this.

Sorry for the leangthy response, but it would seem you are close to the developement team. While I know that these things are not as easy as they may seem, I have used far less capable POS systems that have gotten this right. I know you can do it. These features are truely make-it or break-it functions for me. I'm sure I am not alone...

I will also use this to start a new thread, just to make sure it gets out there for others to chime in on.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 77

+1

^ what he said

Message 8 of 77
Square

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out to write your concerns in full detail.  We wanted to let you know this is feedback we have heard from quite a few merchants, and we are actively working on improvements to how you can add, view, and edit unit costs. We hear you that viewing and changing unit costs is a need that comes frequently. With regards to setting costs for an item that has a quantity that equals 0, we agree it is something we missed and it is included in our upcoming goals to improve our unit cost features.

With regards to the screenshot you sent, we agree this screenshot does not represent the features as they were launched.  We will be updating the screenshot to reflect the current view and update the Community when updates to this view are made. Thank you for your feedback and your participation in the Community.

Message 9 of 77
Beta Member

Thanks for the information @rajatdeva. One other thing that would be pretty essential along these same lines is the ability to run a report of all current inventory levels which includes the unit cost. Right now when I download my inventory, unit cost is not a part of that report, so even though I've entered this information for most items already in square, if I need to know my ending inventory COGS number, I would have to go manually track down the cost of every item again.

One other item (unrelated) - do you guys have plans to expand the label printing formats down the road? We currently use the DYMO 1" x 1" labels, which I don't see in the list of options.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 77

Reporting is definitely lacking in square right now. 

We reorder every week for our boutique and reprint/restock for our  Friday / Saturday high volume sales days.  Currently, we have to export our entire item inventory and delete items that we don't print anymore or don't stock (this take a while since we have 5 years of items) *If you delete old items then you can't run reports on them anymore*.  We need a report that will export just Low item or just print out items that have active inventory. 

Related with the Inventory Management reports - http://prntscr.com/gff5ew which are ok......  This should be the hub for way more detailed reports.   Forecasting, Low stock, Top selling items, what to order, etc.  Since its so hard to enter product cost the reports are useless.  We love to work with the dev team more for better reporting for a small retail boutique. 

Message 11 of 77

Ditto what they both said!

And it would be great to have a simple report where I can provide a fiscal year end date and it calculates the starting inventory cost, plus all added stock cost throughout the year minus the current inventory cost on hand so that I can have an annual COGS report easily at my finger tips. Thank you!

Message 12 of 77
Square

Receive inventory from the POS app

We just updated the original post, but wanted to make sure everyone could see down here as well. As promised, here’s another exciting feature release: Add stock from the Square Retail app!

To add stock right from the app:

1. From the cart view, tap the lower left three-dot Action Menu.
  2. Tap Manage Inventory > Add Stock.
  3. Search or scan items to add stock > enter stock amounts. Scanning the same item multiple times will add the amount being added. You can also scan multiple items and adjust their quantities afterward.
  4. Once all items have been added, tap Finish Adding Stock.

Message 13 of 77

When you add stock via the app, will it match to open purchase orders?  Or can that only be done through the dashboard?

Message 14 of 77
Square

Thanks for your question! Currently, adding stock from the app does not match to open purchase orders, and all actions involving purchase orders must be done through Dashboard. However, we are building new functionality into the Square Retail consistently, and we'll make sure to give you an udate when we have PO support from the app!

Message 15 of 77

Adding stock is great but does square plan on adding an inventory recount feature?  For doing a physical inventory of your store?

Message 16 of 77

I totally agree on a feature for conducting a physical inventory count!  Using scanners to make it efficient and accurate.  If this happens I can trash my very expensive integration software and go exclusive with Square and Big Commerce.  Pls, pls make this happen 🤗

Message 17 of 77

One more suggestion.  Pls import cost from Big Commerce.  We build our products in BC so we can generate a unique SKU for each item.  If we had this feature we wouldn't need to do it twice.

Message 18 of 77
Square

Thanks for your question! This is definitely a request we hear a lot from sellers. While we can't guarantee a release date for this feature, we can say that we are evaluating it. We will make sure to update this thread when we have more news!

Message 19 of 77

Way to go!  Loving all the new retail features!  Thank you so much for adding the store credit via a gift card option.  We have been waiting for this feature more than a year 👍

Message 20 of 77

Will there be support for more label sizes?  We have been using  Dymo 1" x 2-1/8" for everything currently. 

Message 21 of 77