x

Tax Exempt Customers / Remove Tax?

It's a tax related question - I've created the tax & included in the item price ($9.00 includes $1.04 HST). Some transactions will require me to remove the value of the included tax ($1.04) from the price of the item (new price $7.96). How can I do this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hmm, that's a good question, @newbie. I think the best way to accomplish this would be to disable the tax at the time of the sale (either in the app settings or by toggling if off when adding the item to the sale) and creating % discount. That way you can discount the sale the same percentage rate. 

Does that make sense? 

Message 2 of 6

This seems to be the best solution to this problem that I"ve come across so far....Thanks for the idea.

Message 3 of 6

I created a 0% tax and called Exempt Sales Tax. When make a charge for an item in my system it gives me the item amount plus the tax. I tapped on the tax line and delete the applied sales tax. 

Message 4 of 6
Square

Nice! Thanks for sharing the video and a solution @legersdeli.

Message 5 of 6

I am trying to figure out this same issue. Your solution seems promising; however, the problem we are encountering is when we have elected to have "sales tax included in price of item". Your example is showing "sales tax added to item."  It's easy to remove the sales tax in that case. But if sales tax is included in the price of the item, as the original poster indicated, the final charge is $9.00 with tax, and still $9.00 with no tax. If sales tax is included in the price, and we delete the sales tax, shouldn't the charge be lower? The receipt may say "no tax", but the customer will note that he is paying the same amount as everyone else....

Message 6 of 6