x

Taxes are not working during checkout!

Hello!

Currently on our website, the customer can purchase and pick up there items. While initially it looks like the taxes are calculated, during the final checkout, they are not. We have noticed this several times on website purchases.

Of course, all tax information for Texas based on our address is automatically calculated and we have placed Taxpayer Information in as well.

I don't know what else I might be missing, so if anyone can PLEASE help us out that would be great. Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

It's possible that you have your taxes set up to be included in the item price, @CompSounds. If you head over to your tax settings and see that the Taxes are included in item prices box is checked, you'll want to uncheck this box. Let me know what you see, and if this resolves the issue you've been seeing!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Alumni

Hi @CompSounds!

I tried running through checkout with a few different items on your website. From what I could see, it looks like your taxes may be applying now. I'm hoping that means this has been resolved.

However, I didn't actually enter my card information in - if you're still experiencing this issue, where exactly during checkout are the taxes not appearing correctly? Were the taxes showing in the cart, but not during checkout? Or do they appear until you get past the Payment Information section, and move onto the Review & Submit Order section?

Valentina
Message 2 of 18

Hello Valentina!

Yes, that's exactly it. The taxes show up PRE-sale. Once at checkout it is not applied or charged to the customer. I cannot figure out what the issue is. 

Message 3 of 18
Alumni

Best Answer

It's possible that you have your taxes set up to be included in the item price, @CompSounds. If you head over to your tax settings and see that the Taxes are included in item prices box is checked, you'll want to uncheck this box. Let me know what you see, and if this resolves the issue you've been seeing!

Valentina
Message 4 of 18

I am having a similar problem.  I have meals tax enabled for a particular item.  If I add that item to an invoice I am creating, tax is calculated properly.  But if I try to check out with that same item, tax is not showing up at all during checkout.

Message 5 of 18
Alumni

Got it, @saraheandbradm - sounds like you set up taxes through your Square Dashboard for purchases made through your Point of Sale, but may not have had a chance to do the same for your Square Online Store. This helpful guide will walk you through how to set up tax rates for your Square Online Store.

Valentina
Message 6 of 18

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Why aren’t my selected tax and shipping rates calculating at my customers check out?

I have set up both tax rate and shipping rates, clicked done and save but my first two customers were not charge for either. What am I missing? 

Message 7 of 18
Alumni

Hi there @aliciamoore 👋 I've moved your post over to this thread where I covered something that may be affecting the way your taxes are applying. Please take a peek here and see if this helps shine a light on what you're seeing.

In regards to your shipping rates, have you ensured that your items are set to have the Shipping fulfillment method as an option?

Valentina
Message 8 of 18

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Sales tax not showing up on checkout.

I added items that can be ordered and paid for through Square. I have enabled tax on these items, but the tax is not being calculated during check out. Not sure what to do to get to this fixed...

link to item if needed...https://checkout.square.site/buy/C3GDNV6V4554MVYFAZBVFIVO

Message 9 of 18
Alumni

Hi there @selenaglass - I've seen a few others ask this question, and in most cases this is related to your tax settings. I've moved your post over to this thread where the Best Answer provided should help clear up what you're seeing! If it doesn't be sure to get in touch so we can dig a bit deeper with you.

Valentina
Message 10 of 18

I seem to be having the same problem!  It did this to me once before, but randomly stopped, but NONE of my online orders are being charged taxes.  I've checked my tax options (not included in the sales price) and have gone through and marked every item to charge tax and I'm still having this issue.  Three orders placed today weren't charged tax.

Message 11 of 18
Alumni

@ForCraftsSake

Did Valentina's best answer up top help at all? If you haven't already, give CS a holler so they can comb through your Online Store and tax settings. 

Justin
Message 12 of 18

I am having the same trouble.  I have set up my tax in the tax rate section.  It appears in the details for my item  but when I test it on my site, the tax doesn't get added to the subtotal.

Message 13 of 18
Alumni

I'm seeing taxes added automatically when making a purchase for pickup @nickyzabetian!

It sounds like you've chosen to have your tax rate automatically calculated. This means that taxes are not going to appear on the cart sidebar when selecting shipping as the fulfillment option. When selecting shipping as a fulfillment option, the taxes will be calculated in the cart after your customers have input their shipping information:

I hope this helps!

Valentina
Message 14 of 18

THank you!

Message 15 of 18

I'm having the opposite problem. The Sales Tax displays as $0 on the cart's preview, but it is taking out taxes when we look at the receipts. How do I change it, so the cart preview is accurate?

Message 16 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hey @LSWCD- Please check the settings of your Items to make sure the tax field has been correctly added to each item. Also, are you making changes in your Square online store your your Square account? 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 17 of 18

I’m also having the same issue , I went through the Sales tax guide so i have sales tax applied to each and everyone of my items , i have my sales tax applied accurately based off my location as well. I’m also not including it in my item price.  It does say tax enabled therefore im a bit confused. 

Here’s my stores link- 

http://kgsmobiledetailing.square.site/

Message 18 of 18