x
Beta Member

Taxes for online invoices could not be any more cumbersome and un-intuitive

I swear every time I create a new invoice from my PC I spend 2 minutes creating the invoice and 20 minutes figuring out how to enter the tax.

Apparently they're tied to "items", and then within the "item" we can only select from a list.  I can't find where the heck to edit that from the online dashboard (have to go into the app on my phone).  It's all just so, so terrible.  I just want to type in a tax amount and have it calculate.  This is insanely overly complicated.

So let's say that I'm selling two photography prints to a customer.  I simply want to enter a 7% sales tax.  How the heck do I do that?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

This says go to Accounts & Settings -> Business -> Sales Tax

But there is no "Business" link within "Accounts & Settings".  Just password, 2FA, etc.

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Okay, so I finally found it.  I'll post it here for anyone else that comes across this on google (and for myself a week from now when I have to figure it out all over again).

WITHIN the invoices "app" there is a separate menu on the left side that has settings that are not global to all of Square.  In THERE there is a link for Business.

This is all super confusing because it's not clear at all that when you enter one of the sections from within the main dashboard you are essentially entering a separate "app" that is separate from all the other options in the main dashboard, all with their own unique settings.

Doubly problematic is this sub-menu really blends in, and looks like it is just the same menu within the main square dashboard as it has many of the same named options.

IE from the main square dashboard there is a menu on the left with an option for "Invoices"

From within the invoice "app" there is a menu on the left with an option for "Invoices"

Likewise they both have settings options.  So when you read the square help and it says to go into settings, it's easy to go into settings from the main dashboard not knowing it is different.  Then from within the invoice "app" that menu is in the same place, with again options like "invoices", "settings", etc and it is not intuitive it is a different menu.

Doubly confusing to get to your saved invoices from the main dashboard you have to go

left menu -> invoices, left menu -> invoices

It's all really terribly designed.

Message 3 of 3