x

Team Management: How do I set up a restricted discounts where the passcode is required?

When I set up a discount and select requires passcode there is no place to set the passcode. Where do I set this up?

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

@jgreco86 Got it! Sorry for the confusion. The required passcode actually refers to the 4-digit code that each employee enters to access the POS. You can give your employees access to restricted discounts by managing your Team Permissions:

1. Visit Team section in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Permissions in the top left corner.
  3. Choose the Role that you would like to edit (in your case Manager).
  4. Check the box next to Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps.

From there, every employee assigned the Manager Role will be able to see and apply the restricted discount.

Hope that helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Did you find your answer? I'm trying to set up a discount as well requiring a password and there's no way I can actually put in a password...!

Message 2 of 20
Alumni

Hi @jgreco86 and @BreakawaySwing — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the Best Answer from Sean on the first page of this thread and let us know if that helps!

Puka - She/They
Message 3 of 20

Hi Puka...this is for online discounts. I want to set one up in my brick and mortar stores that my managers only have access to via a passcode. This doesn't sound like the same thing...unless it is a total work around for a very simple need. Should be toggle passcode on and then enter passcode.

Message 4 of 20
Alumni

Best Answer

@jgreco86 Got it! Sorry for the confusion. The required passcode actually refers to the 4-digit code that each employee enters to access the POS. You can give your employees access to restricted discounts by managing your Team Permissions:

1. Visit Team section in your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Permissions in the top left corner.
  3. Choose the Role that you would like to edit (in your case Manager).
  4. Check the box next to Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps.

From there, every employee assigned the Manager Role will be able to see and apply the restricted discount.

Hope that helps! Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Puka - She/They
Message 5 of 20

Thank you. I will check that out!

Message 6 of 20

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I need to be the only employee that can apply certain discounts

I need to be the only person, owner, to be able to apply certain discounts. Can I restrict other employees from being able to apply them? 

Message 7 of 20
Admin

@MitoDynamics Yes if you use Employee Management you can restrict your employees' from taking particular actions including applying discounts.

When you've created an employee role you can determine their permissions from the Employees section of your your online Square Dashboard.

1. From the Employees section > click Permissions. 
  2. Click the Role that you would like to edit.
  3. Make sure the box next to Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps is NOT checked.
  4. Click Save.

Without this permisson an employee will not be able to apply discounts to a sales.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 20
Beta Member

Is there a way to do this without a subscription?  Or do I have to pay for that feature?

Message 9 of 20
Alumni

Hey @BreakawaySwing! I've updated the thread with instructions on how to set up your Restricted Discounts. Let us know if you need any further help!

Puka - She/They
Message 10 of 20

I am trying to assign discounts to each employee to use. For example: Jon has employee code 1234 and only he should be able to use discount "Jon Discount" using his code. Is this possible?

Message 11 of 20
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Custom Discount

@FKFrozenCustard I understand what you're trying to do, but there isn't a way to assign discounts to specific employees with the Point of Sale app. 

I've moved your post here so you can read how to give certain employees access to discounts with a passcode. I hope this helps in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 20
Beta Member

Is there a way to set up MANAGER only discounts? I have several different discounts set up and I want my employees to have access to most of them but not all. We use square payroll and employee management, so every employee has a 4 digit pass code.

Example -
$5.00 off Promo - All employees to use
100% off No Charge - Managers Only to use.
Message 13 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CashsCleaners

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as one of your fellow sellers asked about this recently as well. 

There isn't a way to restrict individual discounts or have them be applied by specific roles only at this time, but it makes sense to have this feature built out in the future. I'll pass this over to our Discounts team, and hopefully we can get something rolled out sometime soon. 

Keep an eye out for updates!

Message 14 of 20

I am putting in my vote for this feature please!  I need to be able to have discounts that only I, as an owner, am allowed to use.  And then my leads can use others, and the cashiers under that.   It simply isn't practical, or safe for us, to have only one set of restrictions (basically either on or off) for my whole staff that all have differing roles and responsibilities.  Adding "Manager Only" restrictions would be a fabulous first start!

Message 15 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to our Seller Community! @Mka

With Employee Management you can add vendors as Team Members and provide them with custom permission including Item edits. I have moved your post here where other sellers have similar questions. Take a look at @Helen reply.

Let me know if you have any other questions.    

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 16 of 20

I need to be able to apply a passcode specific to one discount. i.e. only "Employee Discount" must be approved by the manager.  

Message 17 of 20
Alumni

Set up restricted discounts with Employee Mgt. I added your post to this thread to look at Puka's steps. 

@WrightSpot

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 18 of 20

We have the issue where too many discounts are being used at the register resulting in gaming multiple discounts to get unintended discounts.  How can I not allow more than one discount to be used per transaction (ie 10% Student + 10% of Fundraiser Card + 10% off ______).  I would like to be able to manage this at the register vs constantly training new employees at the register.

Message 19 of 20
Alumni

@AJDeck - there isn't a setting that limits the amount of discounts applied to a sale, but you might be interested in setting Restricted Discounts using Team Mgt. this would force an owner/manager's passcode to be used when applying any discount. 

I moved you over to this thread to view Puka's best answer. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 20 of 20