x

Thinking of switching to Square Register, is it worth it?

I own a small retail shop and I currently just use square app on my iPad, and am in my trial for Square for retail. I would like to be able to use inventory barcodes and a scanner for sales. I also like the ability to keep track of item costs for my business and their vendor. (Both later features are in square for retail). If I go with the register, will I still have these features without the $60/month fee of Square for retail? 

Are there other hidden fees with the register that are different than square app on the iPad?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller Alumni

I've been impressed with our Square Register in terms of hardware and reliability.  

Message 2 of 19

Hey! there is a difference in pricing, though I find it negligible. Square allows you to negotiate your processing fees, btw, I believe once you hit $250k in a year. 

I also run a small retail and I cant help but feel that the register really brings our business up and we've been able to really grasp S4R during this shut down. our barcode scanner really saves us time and the inventory tracking has made it MUCH easier to work. Our employees/myself have been able to increase productivity and better serve customers and I can easily see our inventory for ordering from afar, giving us much more freedom to operate at a distance if we want to travel or just not need to come in to order, helping us also being more efficient. 

Message 3 of 19

Thank you! When you buy the register, do you still pay the $60/month for the Square for retail? Or is that just included in the purchase of the register?

Message 4 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

@AKNaturesNest 

While the Square Register is compatible with Square for Retail, the Square for Retail Subscription is separate and not included.
We use our Registers with the regular Square POS software.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 19
Super Seller Alumni

We also use our Register (and love it!) with the simple Square POS system.  We find we don't miss the Retail features in the least, but then we have been doing our own bookkeeping work ever since we opened our store.

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 19

It's been a lifesaver for us. I can still take it to events, run it off your phone or iPad, just as easily as using a desk top or one of their register systems and you can convert it to an online shop if you need to & the inventory syncs. So easy!

Message 7 of 19

We use the Square for Retail app but do not have the Retail Square register (yet). You can scan barcodes from the iPad, you just need to purchase a barcode scanner (we got used ones for less than $50 but we needed them for our shipping dept anyway) - and a feature of the Retail app is that you can create and print out your own SKU barcodes and prices on labels. You would need to confirm with Square, but I believe the retail register is just an all inclusive upgraded hardware choice and you still have to use the separate app with it for the inventory tracking and reporting-which means don't give up your iPads and iPhones because you can still use those on locations and they sync with your app which has been a great benefit for us. 

Message 8 of 19
Beta Member

I really like the whole Square POS system. Real time analytics, user friendly apps.

Message 9 of 19

We were one of the first to go with the Square Register.  It is very professional looking, works beautifully - and with the double display and payment acceptance system, you don't EVER have to "handle" a client/customer card.  Their card, their responsibility.  We never have cards accidentally left.  We never have people calling saying we kept their card, etc.  Several of our clients have fondly referred to the system as the "Spaceship Enterprise," due to it's sleek, modern design.  I started with Square about 3 months after their inception.  From my phone.  Went to a mini iPad.  Have had a number of larger, bigger, better iPads since then.  But switching to the Square Register when it became available wasn't even a second thought!

Message 10 of 19
Beta Member

It used to be that the main difference was that Register had a different CC pricing structure, but now everything is 2.6%+.10. 
It is really just a hardware difference.
It looks nicer, for sure. It is LOCKED to ONLY DO what you want your employees to do: Ring Sales. There can be no other apps, uses. For me, in a College town, it's a HUGE plus.
So, really is the ~50% increase in price worth the pretty exterior? For me yes.

Message 11 of 19
Admin

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! And just to clarify Square for Retail is now available on Square Register😊 

@AKNaturesNest I hope this was helpful! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 19

But you still pay the monthly fee for the Square for Retail, correct? 

Message 13 of 19

But, there are software compatibility issues between Square Register, for Retail, Online Store, Loyalty, and Marketing.  We pay for all of these and they don't fully work together!

Message 14 of 19
Alumni

@CHC_Admin,

Thank you for expressing your feedback. We are constantly working to integrate more and more features into the register, especially for specialty subscriptions you are already using. 

We will be sure to notify you if anything changes, or if new updates are released. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 15 of 19
Admin

@Random1 Yes you're right, there is a monthly subscription fee for Square for Retail. This Support Center article has information about pricing for Retail

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 16 of 19

Thank you Helen! I just wanted to make that clear to the person who originally asked the question in this thread 🐵

Message 17 of 19
Admin

🙈 Good call, thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 18 of 19

We have the new Register and pay for Retail subscription.  We use the Retail subscription online in our Dashboard to track Cost of Goods Sold, but not on the Register because of the different features between standard interface and the Retail interface they look, act and function differently on the customer facing display so we keep Retail on the Register turned off.  It's a bummer that all the software from Square are different and not all compatible.

Message 19 of 19