x

Tips for managing cords

Anybody have any tips for managing all of the cords required to run a Square stand setup?  Currently I have the cord connecting my square stand to the usb hub, the cord from the usb hub to power, cord from contactless/chip reader to usb hub, cord from receipt printer to usb hub, power cord from receipt printer to power, cord from receipt printer to cash drawer.  That's a lot of cords!  

I could hide a couple by building the cash drawer into the table we currently use, but that's not a viable option at the moment nor does it truly solve the issue.

Anybody with some experience have any tips, other than using twist ties to organize them a bit?

Thanks to anyone who tries to help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

Hey @birdnestburgers

In my experience operating retail stores, I typically had a cash wrap with a hole or series of holes that led from my point of sale and receipt printer to a recessed area where my cash drawer and other hardware were placed (basically the jumble of cord confusion just stayed hidden behind the scenes). 

I am not sure what your setup is like exactly - but I wanted to make sure you got a *bump* to your post - I am curious what other sellers do to maintain their cables at their cash wrap or order counter. Please post and share. 👍

Message 2 of 11

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. We're using large tool chests/tool benches with butcher block tops on wheels as we are a food stand on a farm.  Similar to what is pictured.  No actual cash wraps. Might consider just drilling through the butcher block.30115167.jpg

Message 3 of 11

Hey just wanted to loop in @sciabica1936, I know he's done some custom work to his retail space. 

Any helpful tips? 

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

I built a custom cabinet.  Your best bet is to drill a hole under the iPad and send the wire straight down.  There are a lot of wires, and it looks messy from the back, but I just want to keep them from the customer's view.  

Here's a video of my setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/alsxyp1gd6hzhmc/IMG_3140.MOV?dl=0

The only thing I need to do is drill a small hole for the chip readers which I added later.

Message 5 of 11

Looks great.

Message 6 of 11

Hey I have a setup exactly like your video, I’ve been trying to figure out what to do about that last wire from the chip reader. I wish square made the cable so that it could go straight down through a hole like they did with the register stand. Did you drill a hole behind it? I wouldn’t have cared much if it were just a tiny hole for that wire although the usb connector needs to fit through it as well. 

Message 7 of 11

Hi! We are setting up our Square hardware and would like to pass all the messy cords through a hole in our countertop -- our cash drawer and receipt printer will be underneath the counter. Does anyone have an estimate on how large of a hole we will need to pass all those cords through? 

Message 8 of 11
Admin

Good question @Hommelson! Each set up is different. But maybe one of our Super Sellers can help.

@VanKalkerFarms @pessosices @GlassJudy @RHatch @ryanwanner ... any thoughts? Thanks!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Hommelson - I answered on the other thread, I think we used 5/8ths of an inch

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 10 of 11
Admin

Thanks a ton @pessosices!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 11