x

Tips for myself; No employees

Hello, I have a market stand that I run twice a week. I just realized after a few weeks that my tips are not being added to my total sales. I do not have any employees and do not pay myself since this is my start up. How do I pay myself tips? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

@Mezclafoodz This would be best asked to whoever you are using to do your accounting.  Technically the tips are income for the person taking them.  Your tax adviser would tell you how to best account for these.  They are included in the total collected, but will not show in your gross sales or net sales.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 4

The tax aspect i completly have a grasp on it. My issue is my sales were $200. Tips were $200. Total should be $400. My transferable balance is only $200. 

I did call customer service and they did say my account has been flagged since I am a new user. I will be calling up and following up to make sure the process has passed.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Mezclafoodz You are on the right track.  Sometimes it is hard to tell what the situation is on the forums, but I always am here to help if you have any questions (not account related, lol).  But, I do see where tips equaling sales would set off a flag to take a closer look at transactions.  I regularly audit my cashiers to check sales vs. cc % vs. cash % vs. tips.  A high CC% (above normal) when every other cashier is taking more cash indicates skimming and requires an audit or monitoring.  I know sometimes card issuers will flag transactions if tip > a certain amount.  Hope you get everything resolved soon.

Here is a link to helping protect yourself from fraud transactions that can cause flags like this:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6159-protect-yourself-from-scams-and-fraud 

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 4