x

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Tips should only be calculated on the service part of a sale, not retail

We are a service based business. We provide a service and our customers tip us on that service. But we also sell retail (skincare, lifestyle) items that customers should not tip on.

When our customer comes in for a 90min facial and during check out decides to buy some recommended products also their balance can jump form $130 to $280 very easily. So we now have a $280 balance with services and products, the customer swipes their card and the tip screen suggests a few % options..

Scenario 1, Wrong - 20% tip on total sale

$280 + 20% ($56) gratuity = $336

Scenario 2, Correct - 20% tip on Service only

$130 service + 20% ($26) service gratuity = $156 + $150 retail = $306

Unless we ring an extra transaction to separate retail from service sales, our customer gets ripped off. We make more money, Square makes more money but our customer got ripped off by $30 in Scenario 1.

The solution we previously offered to Square was to let items be "tip(able)" the same way items are currently "tax(able)"

Any thoughts from the Square team?

88 Comments

Square, are you even working on or considering adding this feature?  Your customers have been requesting this seemingly simple function for 3 YEARS now.  I will also be looking into switching from Square to another service that allows this feature.  

Admin

Hi @pgazz, thank you for taking the time to reach out here. Really sorry for the frustration.

I went to check for any updates on this request and there isn't anything that I can share out at this time. For now, hopefully EJ's suggested workaround on the first page of this thread helps.

I can definitely see how automating the ability to calculate tips based on services only would be helpful for many businesses—especially in a fast-paced atmosphere. We'll come back to this thread with any other developments that come through.

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Tips

At our store we are dog groomers (services) and we also have retail.  We have tips "turned on" to allow tipping for services.  However if we have a customer that only purchases retail items they also get the tip screen.  We have actually had a couple of people leave a tip.  Is there a way to customize what is eligible for tipping?

Admin

@puppykatz At this time it's not possible to customize tipping by item/service. I'll share your feedback with the Payments team, this certainly sounds like it would help.

Keep in mind, the tipping setting is is specific to the device you're taking payments with. So you could consider checking out services with one device with tipping enabled, and checking out retail sales with another device with tipping disabled. 

Thanks Helen.  The other issue I forgot to add in my original post is when the customer chooses a percentage and they have also purchased retail items the tip is figutef on the total bill, not just the cost of the service.  

I purchased one of the new square registers, so we do have the iPad available.  However we, of course, want to encourage shopping on the retail side as well.  Life is just complicated :/.

Hello @puppykatz

Actually tips on only services is something we're tracking on Feature Request: Tips on services only. I recommend commenting on that thread to make sure your voice is heard. 🙂

This is a very serious issue for me too. I we do about 50% services and 50% retail. Typically, there are facials and skincare purchases in the same transaction. We have to manually calculate the tipping portion. It feels very unprofessional.  As Square's roots seem to be in independent small businesses (namely service providers), it seems ridiculous that it hasn't been fixed by now. We have a toggle switch to turn on taxes. We should have a toggle switch to turn on tipping. That would solve everything. 

Please let me know when you find a solution!  I was about to finalize with Square despite the fact that they lack this function because the sales rep told me this issue is on their radar so I imagined that meant it would be implemented in the near future.  But after coming across this thread and seeing it has been "on their radar" for 3 years without any solution is enough reason to find another solution!

Beta Member

I have been searching the support community for the answer, but I don't think I've found one so I thought I'd ask for some helpl

I own a distillery that has a tasting room.  In our tasting room, we can serve cocktails...but also sell bottles & merchandise.  If we were only selling bottles & merchandise to a patron, how do I disable the tipping ability on the receipt?  I don't want to "guilt" someone to provide a tip for buying a hat.

I don't mind printing 2 receipts (1 for services and 1 for merchandise)...but all receipts are printing the tip line.  

Any suggestions?  I'm usine Square POS.

Thanks!

Bob

I'm a chiropractor that employs massage therapists. I'd like to offer tipping for the service of massage therapy but not chiropractic. Is there a way to do that?