x

How can I keep track of retail and backbar (use) inventory at my salon with Square?

Hello! I see that there is inventory management when it comes to items to sell via retail. But is there a way to track inventory of supplies used? For instance, I am a hairstylist and I need help keeping up with tracking hair color inventory that I use.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Track Inventory for Supplies for Hair Salon

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @SadieHayes1 - Welcome to The Seller Community!

Our engineers are currently working to improve inventory tracking for supplies used. 

In the meantime, a good workaround for this would be to make your supplies items in your Item Library, be sure to make them unavailable online (if you utilize a Square Online website) - and add stock to those items so that you are able to track inventory. 

I hope this helps 😊👍

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Beta Member

Hi, are you being able to saved color formulas? I mean other than using notes.  Do square has templates specifically for beauty salons

Message 2 of 41

I second this question. It would be nice to know what we have available in our backroom. 

Message 3 of 41

Has anyone been able to figure this out?   I really need a better way to keep track of everything.   Sometimes I get a last min color and I need to know what I have at the salon so I can pick it up before I go to the salon in the morning. 

Message 4 of 41

Looking for a way to track our stylist color usage.  Not really a product sold but more of internal product usage.  Would like to know the cost of an item and who took the item out of inventory.  That way we can invoice staff for the items they use.  Anything like that exist in Square, we are new to the platform and getting square all setup.

thank you 

Message 5 of 41
Alumni

Right now, the ability to track supplies/ingredients used for a product or a service is not possible with Square, but we're grouping all Sellers on this thread for tracking. Adding to this thread will up the priority level, so hopefully we have good news to share soon. 

@JMcGill

Justin
Message 6 of 41

Adding to the thread. Would love an option to save back bar inventory. 

Message 7 of 41
Alumni

Thanks for adding to this thread. We'll update as soon as we know of any new developments. @AlexandraRodger

Justin
Message 8 of 41

Yes; looking for a backbar option as well. 

Message 9 of 41

Hi @QWaters,

Welcome to The Seller Community!

Thanks for sharing your want for this feature as well. There is not ETA as of yet for this feature. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business . To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. 

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates, here, in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! 🙂

Message 10 of 41

Stylist here- I would love to have this option! Backbar product and color tracking is one of the most important parts of salon management and it would be so helpful to be able to keep it all in one place!

Message 11 of 41

Thanks for adding your vote @MorrisJ! We'll keep you updated here 👍 

Message 12 of 41

we have a similar need. I am in the process of working on an app with a friend of mine who is a developer. Is this something Square will have available soon, or should I continue app development? 

Message 13 of 41

Hi @powderoombridal,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to our community!

At this time, we don't have an update on this feature request, but you're in the right place to receive updates in this thread. If you haven't already, we'd suggest joining the Beta Community, where we often reach out to sellers to test new features before they're released. 

Message 14 of 41

Hi @JMcGill have you found the solution in square?? or somewhere else? I tried tons of apps none are providing the cost of usage, some let you add backbar usage to the service but not adding to the amount. Let me know if you have found a solution. 

Message 15 of 41

does anyone have a work around using the current system?  ie allocating all product used in service as a loss?

Message 16 of 41
Beta Member

Is there a way to add an item to a service that can then be tracked with inventory?

For example, I do lash lifts and use 3 packets per service. I want to track how many packets I have in my backbar?  Is there a way to do it?

Message 17 of 41
Alumni

Currently there isn't a way to track supplies used for a service. You'll need to create a lash packet item and add it to the sale to track inventory. 

@Tdagucon

Justin
Message 18 of 41

same here!! I'm a stylist just trying to track inventory in square..  would be nice to have a barcode scanner for in/out of each item, and input the ml's & oz's used of each item still on shelf, as well as keep track of items that need replacing.. 

Message 19 of 41

Thanks for adding your vote to this feature request, @s225! We'll share any news about this request in this thread. 

Message 20 of 41

Have you guys resolved this inventory supply tracking issue yet? Looks like people have been asking for this feature for a long time. I am trying to figure out the best way to track my back bar supplies in my salon. 

Message 21 of 41