x

Trouble connecting my domain from Wix

Hi, I'm having real difficulty connecting my domain to my site. My domain is managed through Wix and I'm following the instructions to the best of my ability but it doesn't seem to be working. I think I am putting the IP in the right place but there is nothing to confirm if I am doing the right thing. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Or let me know who it is that can help, is it Wix or Weebly I should go to?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Jodiea, in this case, can you try entering the value as just yourwebsitename.com? From looking into this, since the A record for yourwebsitename.com has been pointed to the server IP address, the CNAME would need to be point to that. 

Let me know if that will work!

Tra
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hi @Jodiea, sorry to hear you are having trouble linking your domain to Square! 

When you are linking your domain, you'll need to make sure the A-record are points to the right IP address (199.34.228.164). It'll be best to make sure you've followed all the steps outlined here

Since the domain is managed by Wix, it'll be best to reach out to them to make sure the A-record has been updated correctly. When you update your domain, it can take up to 48 hours for the data to propagate properly as well so there might be an error message when you try to access the website in the meantime.

if it has been more than 48 hours since you update your record, would you mind sending me a link to the website - I'll be happy to take a quick look here and see if there is anything I can do on my end!

Tra
Message 2 of 7

Still having this problem and have been in touch with Wix. The only thing they can come up with is the CNAME record still points to wix not square, is anyone able to help with what to put in the cname record? 

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Hi @Jodiea, apology for the delayed reply on this - I've been away! I'm not too familiar with CNAME myself so I've reached out to our eCommerce team to see what we can provide on our end here. Once I have more details, I'll be sure to follow-up on this thread and let you know.

Tra
Message 4 of 7
Admin

Thanks for bearing with me, @Jodiea! Usually when you connect a domain, you'd only need to update the A records and don't need to do anything to the CNAME.

If Wix said it's better to amend the CNAME, what you can do is:

• Make sure the A record for the domain is pointed to the right IP
  • Make a CNAME where the host field is "www" and the destination is your domain

I hope this will help! 

Tra
Message 5 of 7

Thanks, it is the value box that I need information in. The web address is already there so it isn't that and it doesn't accept the IP address for Square as it is already in the A. Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 17.05.31.png

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Jodiea, in this case, can you try entering the value as just yourwebsitename.com? From looking into this, since the A record for yourwebsitename.com has been pointed to the server IP address, the CNAME would need to be point to that. 

Let me know if that will work!

Tra
Message 7 of 7