x

Can I set up 2 printers: one for receipts and the other for orders in the kitchen?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Two printers

Can I set up 2 printers, one for receipts and the other for orders in the kitchen?  This will be in a food truck.  I have an AT&T hotspot that provides Wifi, Ethernet connectivity, and a USB port.  In the Square hardware offerings I only see a single printer, a Square Stand, and a cash drawer.

If this is possible do you have any specific hardware recommendations?  And how exactly are all these connected to each other? Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Hearts - You can set up two printers to one Square Stand. A common setup is to have a USB printer that is connected directly to the stand and then an Ethernet kitchen printer which would connect to the stand via WiFi. The caveat here is that you would need to make sure the kitchen printer is near a router as that is how it connects to the WiFi. Check out TBHospitalityNY's answer above for a list of compatible printers.

You can choose certain categories to go to specific categories so that your orders get sent to the kitchen printer and receipts sent to the other by following the steps at Printing to Multiple Printers.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Beta Member

Here is a list of all the hardware that is supported through Square. You can have multiple devices hooked up to one register (you can name the different printers as well as specify which categories go to which printer when a sale is tendered). Hope this helps. 

Supported hardware compatibility: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6334

A similar question from 2016 about 2 printers: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Can-I-connect-two-iPad-stands-to-one-USB-printer...

I don’t know what the limit is for USB/ethernet printers with the new Square Register.

Message 2 of 11

Hi there, I'm considering using Square for my restaurant, and I need to know, can I run a regular receipt printer for giving customers their receipt after payment, and a kitchen printer to print out the tickets. So far all I see is that you can support one printer at a time. However kitchen printer needs to be separate printing out just the orders. If anyone has experience with this and can let me know I'd really appreciate it

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Hearts - You can set up two printers to one Square Stand. A common setup is to have a USB printer that is connected directly to the stand and then an Ethernet kitchen printer which would connect to the stand via WiFi. The caveat here is that you would need to make sure the kitchen printer is near a router as that is how it connects to the WiFi. Check out TBHospitalityNY's answer above for a list of compatible printers.

You can choose certain categories to go to specific categories so that your orders get sent to the kitchen printer and receipts sent to the other by following the steps at Printing to Multiple Printers.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 11

Can it be set up to print at the register and at this kitchen simultaneously? Right now it's either/ or situation as the stand only recognizes one printer at a time. 

Have I set something up incorrectly? 

Message 5 of 11
Admin

Hi @Pj133, welcome to the Seller Community and thanks for checking in here!

To be sure I'm on the same page, which printers are you using and can you confirm that you've created a printer station for each printer? More details here: Create a Printer Station and Connect a Printer.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 11

Sir,

can i connect two square stands to one sticky label printer by Ethernet cable?  It’s the sticky label printer that you sell.

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

@Burgasm ;

You should be able to do this as that is an Ethernet Sticky Label Printer.  You will need it connected to the Same Network that your Square Stands are on.  The sticky label printer will need to be wired to either a Wireless Router, Switch, or Repeater that is wired or wirelessly connected to your main router and your Square stands would need to be connected to that same Network system wirelessly. 

I suggest setting up your Network printers with Static IP addresses  that are outside the range of you DHCP Server range so they are always having the same IP address.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 8 of 11

Can you connect multiple Square Registers to one kitchen ticket printer? I have Ethernet and wifi. We have three registers throughout our restaurant. Which model printer should I buy to put in the kitchen so all registers will send their tickets to one printer? 

Message 9 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Newenglandfish - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

Yes - You can send order tickets from multiple Points of Sale to the same, single kitchen printer. You can view all kitchen printers that you can connect to your Square Register here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 11
Super Seller

@Newenglandfish ,

Any of the Network Ethernet printers that work with Square should work for your needs.  You need the the Ethernet network on the same network as Wifi connected devices.  I have the Star Bluetooth/USB/Ethernet printer from Square and it works fine over my wifi and Ethernet network.  Only Time I had problems is when my internet or power flashed and the printer would not be able to connect to my main router.  The repeaters would connect to my Hotspot back up device and give a different network. 

I recommend giving your network printers a Static IP address that is outside your DHCP host range so the printer always gets the same IP address.  

If you setup a printer profile for Tickets you can use it on any device connected to the same network.

7179-set-up-your-printer-with-square-for-restaurants 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 11 of 11