x
Super Seller

Updating Categorie: Do Reports update with the changes made?

I recently updated all of the categories in the system, my question is, do the reports update as well and modify to the changes made? If so, how long does this generally take? 

Sayda Diaz
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

Your category changes will apply to all future sales, and once there are new sales with the updated info, they will be visible in your reporting. Keep in mind, that changes to your items will not impact past sales! Hope that helps clarify.

Message 2 of 7

What about your old items that were sold as Uncategorized but now you have put the in a category? Will the report account for those?

Message 3 of 7

Hi Spenser, I see this is an old posting but I'm hoping you can still help. I just took over a store that uses Square and would like to update all of the categories of items, in hopes of better tracking past sales of our goods (i.e. jewelry, stationary, soft goods, mens gifts, etc). Will I be able to view past sales of the items that have been moved to the new catefories under those categories?

Thank you,

Daphne

Message 4 of 7
Admin

Hello Daphen @ddeitchman. This post is a few years old but it's still correct! Even you delete a category that category will still appear in past Sales/Category/Item Sales reports.

Hope this helps clarify but if you have any questions about Square as you get started feel free to post again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 7

I recently made an error and assigned almost all of my items to a single category (did this during an Export/Import of my item library). I have now corrected this and reimported the correct categories into my item library. However, my sales by category report still shows the original (and incorrect) category. Is there any way to do a database update so that my reports will reflect the newly assigned categories for the items sold?

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

@OzarksReef Glad to hear you sorted out your categories correctly!

Unfortunately historical data cannot be altered, so the incorrect categories will appear in reports up until the date you changed your categories. Going forward the new categories will apply to future sales and will reflect properly in the Category Sales Report. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7