x
Beta Member

Variable Discount applied to item?

We have a variable percent discount. I am unclear how can this discount can be applied to a single item of a transaction (rather than the whole transaction)? I see the fixed percent discounts at the bottom of the item screen, but I don't see the variable discounts. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller

variable discounts don't show up at the bottom of items, only discounts with a percentage filled in.

Message 2 of 11

Seems you can add variable percentage discounts but you have to remove the discount from all other items....

Add your item(s), add the variable % discount. Next, tab each item you don't want to apply the discount to and remove it...
Seems it does not matter wether you apply discount as first, last or inbetween item, it is applied to everything on your ticket.

Edit:
Variable price discount seems to be the whole ticket.

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

When you select your variable percentage discount from your discounts menu and apply it to a cart, then you can select items in the cart and remove the discount from items you don't want it to apply to. The total discount will only apply to the items where the discount remains turned on. 

@Rolf - sounds like you were seeing it still apply to the entire ticket, even after de-selecting it? If that's happening, let's discuss further so I can get more details to troubleshoot.

Message 4 of 11
Beta Member

@elaine_p is this scheduled to change any time soon?  Not being able to apply a variable discount to a single item is a big deal for us as we regularly have odd discount amounts.  The option to apply to all items, then remove it, it's not practical at all if you have 20+ items in the cart.

Message 5 of 11
Alumni

Hi @costless, it is possible to create discount rules for specific items using a discount rule; a jeweler could specify categories like necklaces are 10% off, or select specific items for the discount. Earrings could be marked as 15% off, for example. 

Leaving the amount blank for a variable discount and specifying items is not supported today. I've changed products at Square, so I'm not sure about plans here; @divyar in case you have updates.  

Message 6 of 11

I'm unable to apply discounts to individual items.  It always discounts the whole ticket.

Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

@Madkorzon let's make sure we're following the correct steps for individual item discounts, because it is different than full checkout discounts.

Apply a discount to an individual item:

1. Tap Current Sale.
  2. Tap the item you’d like to discount.
  3. Tap the discount you’d like to apply to add it to the current sale.
  4. Tap Save.

Note: A manually-added automatic discount will apply to all items in the cart, not just items selected in that discount’s rules.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 11
Beta Member

Variable discounts are not available for individual items as everyone in this thread has already indicated.

Message 9 of 11
Beta Member

Ashley are there any plans to allow variable discounts to use rules like applying only to specific items or categories? It seems like many sellers including myself need this. For my particular use case we have a birthday discount. The customer can select 1 of 15 different items and depending on which item they select the discount varies. We need the discount to only apply to that specific item. It seems a bit silly that we have to have 15 different “Birthday” discounts added into our system but until Square introduces a way to have variable price discounts apply to specific items only, it’s what we have to do. 

-Jc, OasisHTG
Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

Greetings,

After looking over this string, I think I may have come up with a bug.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I understand that when you apply a variable amount ($ or % off), it applies it to the entire sale and you need to go in and turn it off on any items you don't want included.  However, when you click "Review Sale" to look at the current sale items and then click on an individual item, you can only see the variable % off discount in the list of discounts at the bottom.  If the discount is a variable $ off, it doesn't show up in the list so there's no way to turn it off for individual line items.

If this is a bug, how do I go about turning in a bug report?

P.S. I'm using the square app on an iPad (9th generation) running 15.6.1.

Message 11 of 11