x
Beta Member

Variable payment option in the online store

During the COVID-19 pandemic, I am providing some coaching services on a pay-what-you-can basis. I would like to give clients a link to my online store, and allow them to enter how much they wish to pay, without a suggested amount. The only way I was able to set this up is to categorize it as a donation, but that's not really accurate, since they are receiving a service. Is there any way to offer it as an item for sale, with variable pay-what-you-can pricing?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Will customers ever be able to enter their own payment amounts in the online store? I get the message  "Item variations must have a fixed price to be sold in your store." This is very important when I have customers make online payments to me for services or deposits, now I have to use a paypal button for this. I would really like to see this available in the future! Is there a way to be notified when it is?

Message 2 of 7

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @VioletPetals thanks for asking. I've merged your post with an existing thread that @CarolineTotah posted so we can start keeping all of these requests in one place. At this time, there is no way to set an item to a variable price for the online store. 

Any item that is for sale will have to have a set price. The only workaround would be the one that @CarolineTotah has used which is to set the item up as a donation, but just as they stated, this is not a perfect solution as the items are really not donations.

I hope this helps. I have shared your feedback with my Development Team as well. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

Thank you Ashley. I may just go with the Donation option for now. Although not perfect. I look forward to the update from the Development Team.

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CarolineTotah great question! At this time, this is a feature request with us. I've merged your post with another existing thread, so please see my response to @VioletPetals for a more detailed answer. Thank you for your time. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 7

I am sorry to see this is not possible. We need the same thing.  We do have a developer researching the Square API and see if there is easy code to make this happen. I need a solution by next Friday for charity event and the DONATE is just not the right solution. 

Message 7 of 7