x

Restricting Employee Permissions in Square for Retail - Hide Unit Cost, Sales, and Customer Info

Restricting Employee Permissions in Square for Retail - Hide Unit Cost, Sales, and Customer Info

I would love to use the Unit Cost feature but I need the option to hide it from whomever I don't think should have access. Can you make the Unit Cost a permissions set, please? 

13 Comments

We want to limit employee access to the "Transactions" area of the Point of Sale app. 

We modified the "Team Permissions" role to only provide access to "Cancel Transactions" and "Delete or Void Saved Items in Open Tickets". Nothing else is checked. "View All Transactions" is not checked. 

We created a user and gave them the "Team Permissions" role.

We signed into the app and turned on passcodes. 

The app correctly requires a passcode to access "Settings" or "Reports" or other sensitive areas. However, it does not require a passcode to access "Transactions".

We want to require a passcode to access "Transactions" in the Point of Sale app. We do not want employees to see this part of the app.

How do we make that happen?

Why isn't the "View All Transactions" permission working correctly?

We tried this in the Point of Sale and the Retail app - it doesn't work in either place. We can view all transactions without a passcode.

Any ideas?

Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for posting and I'm so sorry to hear you are having trouble with the permissions for your team management. We definitely have some troubleshooting we can try, but I do want to say that if your employees are using a shared point of sale (it sounds like they are if they are using a Passcode), then they will always be able to see the 8 most recent transactions without a passcode. This is in place so that they can check to make sure a transaction was successful before letting a customer walk out the door.

If you are seeing more than 8 transactions without a passcode, check to make sure the employee's initials are in the bottom right of the screen... it could be possible they are logged in as someone else. If those things are checked, let me know and we can certainly take a closer look!

Thanks again. 🙂

No matter how I slice the Customers permission, which is supposed to control Read & Messaging for customers, among other things, the button still shows on the Square for Retail Checkout screen.

Furthermore, no matter their access level (even if entirely disabled), a team member can click on the button and still view all customer information.

To top it off, no matter their access level, a team member can send messages to the customer.

How do I disable this functionality entirely? I have tried the following:

1. Disabling Customers permission entirely
  2. Enabling Customers permission, but disabling the view/edit permission explicitly
  3. Creating a new team member with custom permissions and everything disabled - they can still view and message customers

What's going on? I don't want just any team member being able to view all customer data and send them messages.

Admin

Hey @rjmburger-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Are the following both turned off? 

In addition to that, what do you see for Team Management when you go to your devices/point(s) of sale, and select your retail device?

Let me know so I can look into this further.  

Yes, in both cases, Customers is turned off.

I don't want to sound like "that guy", but I'm a software engineer by day, and I'm 99.9% certain this is configured correctly - but the Square for Retail system just doesn't honor it.

Another customer service person told me that Square for Retail doesn't honor Customers permissions entirely. If this is the case, it just needs to be made more clear that turning off the ability to View Customers or send them messages doesn't actually disable that functionality.

Admin

I couldn't agree more. This is a huge oversight. I reached out to one of the Product Managers for Square for Retail, but haven't heard back yet. I will let you know if/when they reach out @rjmburger

Although it sounds like you already have, my next suggestion was going to be to give our Square for Retail team a call and see if they can file a ticket with our Engineering Team to confirm whether this works as intended or not. They have the ability to do this upon request. Thanks for your time and patience, and you totally don't sound like "that guy". I appreciate you surfacing this. 

I will try that. It is just weird to me that both Square Standard and Square Restaurants and Square POS for mobile all honor this permission - but Square Retail doesn't. That makes 0 sense to me.

And it isn't just that it completely doesn't - if Customers is disabled, you can no longer Edit customers on the Square for Retail Register system, but you can still fully view and message them.

So it is like a half-baked honoring of permissions, which to me is both not ideal and seemingly a bug.

Admin

Hey @rjmburger-

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your thoughts on this, and let me know what the Square Retail Team has to share on this issue. 

I was brushed off and told it would be noted as a possible fix/feature in the future.

So, for the time being, I have just set up an in-house monitoring system to ensure employees aren't using this feature that they don't have access to, but can still use because Square for Retail permissions don't actually work as stated.

Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @rjmburger! Co-piloting with @Isabelle__ here while she is out. 

I want to apologize if you felt as though you were simply brushed off in your contact with Support - that is not at all the experience we would want for you. Feature Requests take a formal path to being developed by our Product Teams and implemented into our offering, but these processes can often take time - which creates a certain level of uncertainty regarding release timelines. 

We appreciate you jumping back here and updating this thread with where you landed. It will go a long way in assisting those who are curious and stumble upon this thread. Should anything change in regards to Retail Permissions, we will update you and your peers here first. 

Thanks so much for your patience!