x

What happened to invoice item descriptions?

This past December, I set up most of the items I was going to use for invoicing beginning Jan. 1 of this year. Almost all of the items carried descriptions, especially the items that are non-refundable.

The invoice batch I sent January 1 showed the descriptions. The batch I sent February 1 had the descriptions. Reminders sent Feb 7 had the descriptions.

Today while setting up & previewing new invoices, I realized the item description isn't there anymore. This is a problem especially for the items that are non-refundable because that has to be included on the invoice at all times.

Yes, "show item description" is on in the settings.

Understood that I could go back and customize each invoice item on each invoice / invoice series with the "non-refundable" notice. BUT, the entire reason I put that info in the description was so I wouldn't have to customize the items in every invoice, expediting the billing process.

Thoughts on what happened? How to fix?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Ah I see @WebConcierge -  you're completely making sense! Sorry I misunderstood. 

As you've noticed, the descriptions won't appear in the side bar, but I can see how that causes confusion.

Think of the side bar as a 'quick view' that doesn't show all details of the invoice. In the meantime, you can download the invoice as a PDF to view how the invoice actually looks with the descriptions. 

I'll be sure to pass your feedback up to the Invoices Team just so they know how you'd like Invoices to be viewed for your biz. Loop back to this thread as we announce updates. 

Thanks for posting! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

@WebConcierge 

Interesting 🤔 I just created a test invoice on my demo account and the item description appears as intended on the invoice preview as well as the invoice sent to my email. 

This makes me believe there's an issue with your browser. Which one are you using to view your invoices? On my end, I'm using the latest version of Google Chrome.

Justin
Message 2 of 12

@JustinC I'm using FireFox, on a mac, but I don't think that's the issue.

I stepped through everything again I see now that the preview when you're creating the invoice shows the description, as does the invoice after it's sent. My fault for not being more clear on what I was looking at.

The preview I was referring to is actually the view you get when you click on the invoice after it's been created & sent, or if it's been scheduled to be sent. and it shows up in a side window.

After looking at my copy of the reminder invoice that was sent out this past Sunday, the description is there. What was throwing me for a loop is when I was checking on invoices I had already created. You don't get a "Preview" button when you edit them, or when you click on them to bring them up in the side window the descriptions don't show.

I hope I'm making sense. Any thoughts?

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

Ah I see @WebConcierge -  you're completely making sense! Sorry I misunderstood. 

As you've noticed, the descriptions won't appear in the side bar, but I can see how that causes confusion.

Think of the side bar as a 'quick view' that doesn't show all details of the invoice. In the meantime, you can download the invoice as a PDF to view how the invoice actually looks with the descriptions. 

I'll be sure to pass your feedback up to the Invoices Team just so they know how you'd like Invoices to be viewed for your biz. Loop back to this thread as we announce updates. 

Thanks for posting! 

Justin
Message 4 of 12

Am having the same issue when generating an Estimate. I need the description to show. It doesn’t. Not on my preview, not in the preview email sent and not in the view estimate when clients opens attachment. 
I cannot make a description each time. 
Definitely need the description to show when I select a premade item. 
Thank you. 

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @AlwaysDZ

Thanks for posting your question in our Seller Community! Is this happening with all of your invoice estimates? Also, when creating this estimate are you using the Square Invoice app, or are you doing it on a home computer?

I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 12

Hello,

Yes. All estimates. 
Using square invoice app. 

Message 7 of 12

Did you get this resolved yet? Im having the same issue and customer service could not help!!!

Message 8 of 12

No. They must of removed it intentionally or by accident. Couldn’t get a proper answer or resolve it. 

Message 9 of 12

Hello, @AlwaysDZM- Thanks for your reply. I was unable to replicate the issue you are having on the Square Invoice App. Currently, we are on version 5.52, I would check for any updates. If this doesn't work, please contact our Customer Success Team directly, they will be happy to walk you through additional troubleshooting steps. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 10 of 12

I am having an issue whenever I convert an accepted estimate to an invoice the invoice message is the text in the "message" box gets carried over from the estimate instead of inserting the text that is set as default for the invoice message. If I create a new invoice (not from an estimate) the default invoice message shows the correct text.

I am also having an issue with the reminders not being the default invoice reminders when converting an estimate to invoice. so with these two issues, every time I convert an estimate to invoice I have to manually adjust the message text and the email reminders to match my default invoice settings.

Is there any fix for this since it is time consuming to make the edits and even more time consuming to have to create a new invoice every time an estimate is accepted instead of simply converting it to an invoice?

Message 11 of 12

Welcome back to the Community, @safesimple -

When it comes to your reminders, do you have the settings set for your reminders? It would be under your Dashboard under Invoices > Settings > Invoices. This will set the reminders to future invoices. 

At the time you convert the Estimate over to an Invoice, you will be able to edit the message before sending the invoice.

Currently, editing is the only option you have whenever you're converting an estimate into an invoice. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 12 of 12