x

What is the best barcode label printer to use with Square for Retail Plus?

I have inventory loaded into Square for Retail Plus.  I purchased a DYMO Label Writer 550 Turbo and DYMO 2.5” X 1.5” labels.  Installed the software/driver.  MacOS.  Want to print Item, Price and SKU barcode.

Problem(s):  Prints very small on label, cuts off information, appears that margins are too large (thereby limiting print space).  Called DYMO, created a mock label in their system and it worked, so tech said it’s not a DYMO issue, it’s a Square issue.  Called Square, very nice tech tried to help, but unsuccessful.

Please help, thanks!

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Jones-Bull ;

What I have been doing is I used the software that came with my Thermal Printer (Zebra) and save the Barcodes to print later on my own and not through Square.  You can do this with Dymo Software.  The barcodes Square prints are standard barcodes that Dymo software has and can print.  As long as your barcode reader can read the barcode you select you should be fine.  Stay with UPC-A, EAN-13, Code 39 and Barcode 128 for 1D barcodes and you should be fine with most barcode scanners.  I actually use the Aztec code a 2D barcode, but you could use a QR code if you have a 2D scanner. 

Here is a Guide to rules about different barcodes, how many characters and what types of characters you can use etc. 

comprehensive-guide-to-1d-and-2d-barcodes/ 

There are videos on YouTube for the Dymo Software for creating labels, but they are mainly older and I am not sure if the software has changed since the videos.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Jones-Bull ;

What I have been doing is I used the software that came with my Thermal Printer (Zebra) and save the Barcodes to print later on my own and not through Square.  You can do this with Dymo Software.  The barcodes Square prints are standard barcodes that Dymo software has and can print.  As long as your barcode reader can read the barcode you select you should be fine.  Stay with UPC-A, EAN-13, Code 39 and Barcode 128 for 1D barcodes and you should be fine with most barcode scanners.  I actually use the Aztec code a 2D barcode, but you could use a QR code if you have a 2D scanner. 

Here is a Guide to rules about different barcodes, how many characters and what types of characters you can use etc. 

comprehensive-guide-to-1d-and-2d-barcodes/ 

There are videos on YouTube for the Dymo Software for creating labels, but they are mainly older and I am not sure if the software has changed since the videos.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 2 of 9

@Candlestore, many thanks for your detailed response, very helpful.  Since then, I've figured out how to export Square inventory data to DYMO in Excel format.  Then, created a label format in DYMO Connect.  Labels are printing, maximizing label space.  A few things I've learned in the process:

1. DYMO doesn't like long descriptions.  Inserting a hard return in Excel creates a second row that translates to DYMO.

2. DYMO doesn't carry the $ sign from Excel (eg Price).  In Excel, I'm converting the Price column to text (from Currency or Accounting) and inserting a $ sign.  That translates to DYMO.

Really wish none of this is necessary and Square and/or DYMO straighten out the print driver.  Not sure whose issue that is, but it would be nice to print directly from Square.

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

@Jones-Bull ;

Glad I could help you!!!  Here are a few more ideas and tips...

Yea in my Zebra Software, if I hit <enter> after my barcode it adds a few characters depending on the barcode I use.  Also Zebra can use the the other characters but Square was not translating them, Like as you pointed out the $ would show up as a 4 by Square but in a text documents the barcode would show up as $ as it should.  I prefer using the printer software over Square because I bought custom labels with my company name and information on it.  So I can set up the item Name and my Barcode right where I need it in my different size labels.  Now I do not use a Standard barcode as you can see, but it does work with Square and a 2D scanner that can read this type of Barcode, which is an Aztec code.  The Aztec Code (my SKU) just Reads "Macintosh Apple 28oz" and is about 5/16" square.  I use this code because all of my 'barcodes' can be about this size no matter if I use 10 characters or 30 characters (max for QuickBooks SKU's). I do make some that are 1/4" in size for my smaller labels but that is as small as I can go that my scanner reads these.  I started off using a QR code before switching to the Aztec code, but found the Aztec code can be smaller than the QR code and still read fine.  The QR code does read by the camera on a Square Ipad Stand for Checkout without the need for a 2D scanner, the Aztec is not read by an Ipad.  My entire point here is by using the DYMO software you might be able to have a local printer make special labels for you that you print on with you DYMO printer.  This would not happen with Square or most other POS systems. Know no limits, and experiment to get your desired results, that is how I beat the standard 1D barcode lengths and not needing the added expense of GS1 barcodes.  😁

Attached is my Price Label that I print with my Zebra Thermal Transfer Printer.  The thermal transfer printer only prints Macintosh Apple and the Aztec code, the rest is preprinted by a local printer.  I use the Aztec code to scan my items on my Square Stand using a  Zebra DS-6878 2D Scanner:

Mac Apple Label.jpg

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 4 of 9

Any tips for printing on small Dymo labels?  We use the 1"x0.5" that are 2 labels wide.for small items.

Many of the items we carry are far too small for the bigger labels that Square handles.

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

@Ramat ;

I would download the Dymo Software for creating labels.  With their software you can import your Square Catalog and print the SKU or GTIN fields along with the Item name and Price.  I am not sure where or what device is connected to your Dymo printer.

Are you trying to print from a checkout area or do you have another area that you print out your labels for your small items?  Since you are trying to print small non square compatible labels, I recommend a computer where you put your labels on your products.  Download the Dymo Software on that, and use that computer to print your labels.  By doing this you can print any size label you want as long as it works with your software and printer.  You can also down load a Excel file of your Square catalog to print from with the Dymo Labels.  Here is a video how to do that:

Excel to Dymo labels 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 6 of 9

Thanks Keith, I'll try that method.  I have my mac connected to a Dymo 450 Twin Turbo.  Fingers crossed that your recommendation works 🙂

Message 7 of 9

I'm familiar with the online check QR code generator, and it works great digitally. However, I'd like to create hang tags for my merchandise, but the print quality of the code is inferior. Is there a setting within Square to enhance the quality?

Thanks!

The Art of Koenig

Message 8 of 9

Disregard my question... it was a setting in my printer. Duh!

Message 9 of 9