x

CASH TIP

CASH TIP

Having an option to add tip on cash payments,  just like with a card payment! Have a tip screen after the payment is finished. It is causing issues when small business like myself have to rely on tips in with my income so I can get approved to idk… Buy a house, get any type of loan. Get it together square. We literally pay for everything separately, the least you could do Is update some features. THANKS

6 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: CASH TIP

We'd also like the ability to add tips per cash transaction. We currently do a 5pm "close" for the next shift so we need the ability to know what cash tips are counted before 5pm and after 5pm. It's a bit frustrating to calculate the tips correctly.

Verified Answer

Re: Checks written over the amount charged.....

Welcome to the Community, @jrk7382, thanks for posting. 

I imagine this scenario comes up if your customer is adding a tip to their bill, correct? As opposed to paying the exact amount.

Currently there isn't the option to add tips on "Other Tender" payments, such as checks, but definitely see how this would be useful for reporting. As a workaround, I've seen other sellers suggest here to create a variably priced item - meaning you can add the price at the time of sale - called "TIp." This allows you to enter the amount separately from your total charge. 

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Verified Answer

Re: Can we account for tip jar cash tips in the Square daily sales reports?

I also discovered that there is a way to record cash in / out of the drawer.  It is in an odd place, under Reports (which is also where you Start and End a drawer to total it out).  That is usefull for something like "Hey Joe - Here's $20, go get paper towels!"  You could use it for tips, but I prefer the method we are talking about here because then you have a record of tips seperate from petty cash kinds of things that you would have a receipt for (e.g. Joe spends $12.45 and you put the receipt + $7.55 back into the drawer using the cash In option).  But you could use it for tips if it is a small shop. 

Verified Answer

@Ron - Great suggestion! 🙌  As a follow up, did you create a "Tip" item as well? 

@karl_f - You could make sure that there are no taxes enabled for this item. Also, you could also ring it in as "Other Tender" if you'd prefer. Alternatively, some sellers who use Cash Drawer Management also use the Paid In/ Paid Out feature to record tips.  

Ron
Verified Answer

We set up a TIP "category" and ring our jar tips up there. Hope that helps.

Verified Answer

Re: What is the proper way to enter a cash tip?

Hello! While I know this would be an incredibly useful feature for many merchants, we don't offer an official way to record tips for cash transaction. I have seen some merchants who use cash drawer management use the "Paid In" function to provide a record for these transactions. 

You can learn more about that feature here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152-cash-drawer-management.

I'm happy to pass along your suggestion to our product liaison team. We're constantly working to improve our payment features based on the feedback we get from our sellers. 

79 Comments

Hi Tom, another BIG vote for this feature. Our problem is that we accept funds from the local college through their meal plan. When students charge that way and want to tip we can't take the tips, and if we do we can't give them to employees, which is legally dubious. I need to be able to create an item for tips and have an option on that item to credit the tips category instead of the sales category. It's a pretty easy checkbox to add, and then this problem is solved. I know it is not a problem for everyone, but it is a HUGE problem for those of us that have it. 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I would like to edit check amount when entered as a sale.

We except checks as payment in our restaurant, and some times customers add an additional amount as a tip on the check. As for now if we do receive a check for over the amount, we process the check at the price of the ticket, then do a paid out for the tip amount. Needless to say this is a lot of extra steps and I would prefer employees weren’t doing paid outs. We also have tried just entering checks as cash, but for booking reasons this really makes more work on the back end. Any ideas. 

Super Seller

unfortunately, for some reason Square only put work into accepting tips via credit card and I don't know why.  It's been like this since the beginning of Square POS and I haven't heard anything about that changing. 

I don't know of a better way, but we don't have tips so it isn't something I have looked at much.  @pessosices, you have any ideas?

Super Seller Alumni

Good. Question. 

We also dont do tips or checks or cash management, so unfortunately I don’t have any other ideas for ya. So sorry!

Admin

@SilverSpur We've shared a workaround in this thread: Can you add tips to Other Tender or Cash payments? But I can see how overall it would be more efficent to be able to separate the tip from the check at checkout. I don't have an update to share on when this might be available, I hope the workaround is helpful in the meantime! 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: gift certificate using balance for tip

We pring our own gift certificates and have no trouble tracking them generally EXCEPT when someone says to keep the balance as a tip. How exactly do we record the balance used as a tip so that our till isn't short the money and the sales show correctly? 

Admin

@crosscutespress At this time there isn't a way to record tips on other tender payments like gift certificates or cash. We've shared a workaround over this thread that might help with your reporting. If we have another solutions we'll share them here! 

Hello, I am using this approach, thanks to your suggestion.  However, I also am concerned about overstating Gross Sales. Is there a way to exclude this Category from Gross or even Net Sales?  I already made it non-taxable, but would like to have it excluded from sales in the same way Credit Card tips are.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Question on tipping

I enable "tipping" in my settings. I then go to do a test checkout using the option of "cash" and no tipping screen comes up. 

What am I missing?

Admin

Hi - I've moved your post to this thread @myhairsalon01 so you can read the Best Answer to this question. read the Best Answer to this question