x

CASH TIP

CASH TIP

Having an option to add tip on cash payments,  just like with a card payment! Have a tip screen after the payment is finished. It is causing issues when small business like myself have to rely on tips in with my income so I can get approved to idk… Buy a house, get any type of loan. Get it together square. We literally pay for everything separately, the least you could do Is update some features. THANKS

6 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: CASH TIP

We'd also like the ability to add tips per cash transaction. We currently do a 5pm "close" for the next shift so we need the ability to know what cash tips are counted before 5pm and after 5pm. It's a bit frustrating to calculate the tips correctly.

Verified Answer

Re: Checks written over the amount charged.....

Welcome to the Community, @jrk7382, thanks for posting. 

I imagine this scenario comes up if your customer is adding a tip to their bill, correct? As opposed to paying the exact amount.

Currently there isn't the option to add tips on "Other Tender" payments, such as checks, but definitely see how this would be useful for reporting. As a workaround, I've seen other sellers suggest here to create a variably priced item - meaning you can add the price at the time of sale - called "TIp." This allows you to enter the amount separately from your total charge. 

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Verified Answer

Re: Can we account for tip jar cash tips in the Square daily sales reports?

I also discovered that there is a way to record cash in / out of the drawer.  It is in an odd place, under Reports (which is also where you Start and End a drawer to total it out).  That is usefull for something like "Hey Joe - Here's $20, go get paper towels!"  You could use it for tips, but I prefer the method we are talking about here because then you have a record of tips seperate from petty cash kinds of things that you would have a receipt for (e.g. Joe spends $12.45 and you put the receipt + $7.55 back into the drawer using the cash In option).  But you could use it for tips if it is a small shop. 

Verified Answer

@Ron - Great suggestion! 🙌  As a follow up, did you create a "Tip" item as well? 

@karl_f - You could make sure that there are no taxes enabled for this item. Also, you could also ring it in as "Other Tender" if you'd prefer. Alternatively, some sellers who use Cash Drawer Management also use the Paid In/ Paid Out feature to record tips.  

Ron
Verified Answer

We set up a TIP "category" and ring our jar tips up there. Hope that helps.

Verified Answer

Re: What is the proper way to enter a cash tip?

Hello! While I know this would be an incredibly useful feature for many merchants, we don't offer an official way to record tips for cash transaction. I have seen some merchants who use cash drawer management use the "Paid In" function to provide a record for these transactions. 

You can learn more about that feature here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152-cash-drawer-management.

I'm happy to pass along your suggestion to our product liaison team. We're constantly working to improve our payment features based on the feedback we get from our sellers. 

79 Comments

Is there a way to keep track of tips that the customer has included in a check? It is separated out with credit cards, but i can't seem to find a way to do that for tips when a customer pays with a check.

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Lindale

I moved your thread over to a board where sellers were asking for a similar feature. 

As of right now, this feature is not available. I can definitely see how this would be extremely beneficial for your business. I would be happy to forward this along to our Product Team. Thank you for the feedback!

I came across this issue too. Using Paid in in cash management didn't really help all that much. What I ended up doing was actually setting up an item and named it "Cash Tip" and at checkout I select that item and put the tip amount in. That way I have a reporting of the cash tips I take in. I hope that helps for anyone else that needs or wants to keep track of cash tips.

Beta Member

Here's how you can easily run a report of Cash Tips collected... I was previously using the Pay In method, but found it extremely erroneous manually tallying up those Pay In amounts, so I did this:

- Set up a Category, call it Cash Tips

- Set up an Item, no tax, no price (variable), call it Cash Tips

- Set up a special, AUTOMATIC discount at 100%, call it Cash Tips, and apply it ONLY to your Cash Tips item

Then simply use the new Cash Tips button to record your jar tips.

Because of the automatic discount and zero-tax attribute, it won't affect your Net Sales. (Automatic discounts were a great discovery recently... great for happy hour pricing!) 

You can now run a Category Sales or Item Sales report for the day/week/month in roughly 3 seconds to get your Cash Tip totals. 😉 booya!

If I'm using the square appointments app and closing out my clients, I would like it to keep track of all of my monies. To do this I would like to show my tipping when receiving cash and checks as well as the credit cards. Is there ever going to be that option?

Hey there, @dmsr99

I moved your post to a thread with some helpful tips on Cash and Check tips. 

Check out the Best Answer by David792

Thank you!

Definitely would like this feature too! An easy way to record cash tips during checkout is a necessity. 

Thanks for adding your voice here, @AS444 - as soon as we have some solidified news on this front, we will reach out to everyone here and let you know!

Thanks for your patience.

I totally agree!  I’m a hairstylist and solo stylist. Not that that should matter. I switched over from Vagaro and I could add tips into the receipt. Which is full disclosure for the clients and IRS. There should be a way to add a cash payment as well that will reduce the credit card amount due. 

Alumni

Noted! Thanks for contributing to this thread. As Joe mentioned, we'll reach out here when we learn about future product updates 🙂 @Charlottehair