x

CASH TIP

CASH TIP

Having an option to add tip on cash payments,  just like with a card payment! Have a tip screen after the payment is finished. It is causing issues when small business like myself have to rely on tips in with my income so I can get approved to idk… Buy a house, get any type of loan. Get it together square. We literally pay for everything separately, the least you could do Is update some features. THANKS

6 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: CASH TIP

We'd also like the ability to add tips per cash transaction. We currently do a 5pm "close" for the next shift so we need the ability to know what cash tips are counted before 5pm and after 5pm. It's a bit frustrating to calculate the tips correctly.

Verified Answer

Re: Checks written over the amount charged.....

Welcome to the Community, @jrk7382, thanks for posting. 

I imagine this scenario comes up if your customer is adding a tip to their bill, correct? As opposed to paying the exact amount.

Currently there isn't the option to add tips on "Other Tender" payments, such as checks, but definitely see how this would be useful for reporting. As a workaround, I've seen other sellers suggest here to create a variably priced item - meaning you can add the price at the time of sale - called "TIp." This allows you to enter the amount separately from your total charge. 

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Verified Answer

Re: Can we account for tip jar cash tips in the Square daily sales reports?

I also discovered that there is a way to record cash in / out of the drawer.  It is in an odd place, under Reports (which is also where you Start and End a drawer to total it out).  That is usefull for something like "Hey Joe - Here's $20, go get paper towels!"  You could use it for tips, but I prefer the method we are talking about here because then you have a record of tips seperate from petty cash kinds of things that you would have a receipt for (e.g. Joe spends $12.45 and you put the receipt + $7.55 back into the drawer using the cash In option).  But you could use it for tips if it is a small shop. 

Verified Answer

@Ron - Great suggestion! 🙌  As a follow up, did you create a "Tip" item as well? 

@karl_f - You could make sure that there are no taxes enabled for this item. Also, you could also ring it in as "Other Tender" if you'd prefer. Alternatively, some sellers who use Cash Drawer Management also use the Paid In/ Paid Out feature to record tips.  

Ron
Verified Answer

We set up a TIP "category" and ring our jar tips up there. Hope that helps.

Verified Answer

Re: What is the proper way to enter a cash tip?

Hello! While I know this would be an incredibly useful feature for many merchants, we don't offer an official way to record tips for cash transaction. I have seen some merchants who use cash drawer management use the "Paid In" function to provide a record for these transactions. 

You can learn more about that feature here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152-cash-drawer-management.

I'm happy to pass along your suggestion to our product liaison team. We're constantly working to improve our payment features based on the feedback we get from our sellers. 

79 Comments

I also made an account just to add my input. I receive cash/check payments at my salon with the tip included. There definitely should be an option to add the tip in these situations instead of my editing the amount based on the amount of the check/cash/paypal payment. It makes it very difficult to sort out the actual tips vs amount of the service

Admin

Thanks for your input @victorkanardy, I'll share your interest in this feature with the Point of Sale team. Thanks as well for letting us know how this would help you, if you were to use Square. It's really helpful for our team as they consider which features to work on next!

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How can employees report their cash tips when they clock out?

We are using the employee management feature that allows employees to clock in and out to record their time worked.  I need the employees to be able to report the cash tips that they earned at the end of each shift.  I can figure out how much their credit card tips were...but a majority of their tips are cash.  I need this to be tied in with clocking out so that when I pull their time card reports at the end of the pay period, I can see what tips they made.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Or have a solution to it?

Admin

Hello! I went ahead and moved your post here. Take a look at Sean’s Best Answer above! 

So it looks like it is over 9 months later, and this STILL isn't an option, despite several Square customers asking to add this feature?

I know it really messes up my records when Square reads a different transaction amount than what my manually-entered Excel report reads as. 

Being able to add a tip to ANY trasnaction type would be REALLY useful for bookkeeping.

Additionally, I would like to ask that the Virtual Terminal have itemized services in the same way tha phone app does at Checkout. Sometimes my phone wil not connect and I must use the computer's virtual terminal, and clients' reciepts look different for this reason, OR I can't run their transactions because they pay by check or cash. Additionaly, any reports from the virtual checkout do not read the same, making it more dififcult to track our more succesful services.

Admin

Thanks for your post @HeavenSentLMT. I'm sorry that I don't have an update for you on this feature request, but I can see how it would help you and other sellers and we'll continue to advocate for this for you.

Currently virtual terminal is a 'no-frills' tool you can use to take payments from a computer. In the meantime, if you need to add items to payment you could consider sending an Invoice online instead. Your customer will receive an email with a link to pay the invoice. You can also save card information on file, and then you can charge customers using Invoices.

Agreed.  I am and know several stylists that also use square.  I have several clients who pay in cash, but I'm not seeing an easy way to record cash tips.  Maybe square thinks we should hide this money, but I for one, would like to report it properly.  Please make it a priority.  Since tips are already allowed in credit card transactions, I don't see why they are not available for other payment types, including cash, gift certificates and checks.

I'd like to add an additional challenge my business now faces with this feature lacking.  Previously, my services were not taxed at the state level.  As of July 1st, all my services are now taxed.  As you are likely aware, tips are not included in sales tax. Here's an example:

I charge a customer $90, total charge with tax is $95.40.  They give me $110 in cash that includes a tip.  If I mark the transaction in Square for $95.40, it will never match my bank account deposit of $110.  I also don't want to line item it as an additional $14.60 as this tip is not taxed by sales tax.

I've read others having to manually fix Quickbooks each week to sync up, but I'm not sure that's worth my time or if I will even be successful in making it accurate.  

I have really enjoyed Square up until this point, but this feature is a deal breaker for me and I will be forced to find another vendor.  Is there any update from the development team?  Even a reason why this isn't a feature yet is better than nothing.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

Admin

Hey @Smoochgrooming, welcome to the seller community.

Sorry for the frustrationI went to check for updates on this and, while you can allow tips to be calculated before taxes for card payments, there isn't a way to record tips on other tender types. Our Point of Sale team is continuing to track this request, and I'll be sure to share your post and reporting concerns with them.

In the meantime, you can add the amount of the cash or other payment type tip as a note to the payment while completing the sale. These notes will be visible on customer receipts and Items Details CSV.

Please do keep in touch as we're always updating the app based on seller feedback. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Seriously Square, why isn't there a tip option for cash payments!?!! I'm self employed and switched to Squareup to simplify my bookkeeping and this is bumming my flow...