x

What's the difference between a checkout and payment link? Can customers receive a text receipt?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Checkout link and customers receipt

When using an online checkout link or payment link sent to the customer, once they pay the only receipt option is their email. How can a customer receive a text receipt if the do not want it sent to their email?

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Of course - happy that helps! 

You can learn a lot about Square Online Checkout links by taking a look at the page I linked in my last response! I also covered some nitty gritty details when some folks asked questions about checkout links herehere, and here. The screenshots included above are all from a checkout link I created via the Online Checkout page of my Dashboard.

I'll start with a quick walkthrough of the flow of sharing a payment link for comparison, then I'll run through a checkout link payment flow:

Select Send Payment Link >

Click Send link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when a payment link is sent via text:

It sounds like you may want to start using online checkout links instead of the payment links. You can share online checkout links from your Square Point of Sale app (Settings > Online checkout). You are also able to log into your Square Dashboard from a mobile device if you prefer to share online checkout links with your customers for the text receipt capability. 

Let's walk through what that looks like for you and your customer!
Remember, you're starting in-app Settings > Online checkout:

After selecting from your list here, you'll see this on your screen:

Select Share link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when an online checkout link is sent via text:

When they click on the link, this is what they will see:

They'll click Checkout to pay, and see this page:

During the checkout process, they will have a place to enter their phone number to receive order updates by text before paying. They will also receive an order confirmation text while being routed to the order confirmation screen:

Screenshot_20210212-171943 (1).jpg

This should get you exactly where you want to be @SMW!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Checkout links and tipping Help!

Am I the only one who finds checkout links confusing? If I go to my checkout and use the tem grid to add an item to the order then as payment type I choose send a payment link this is texted showing my business name and does allow tipping, GREAT.

If I go to my item library and send the link from my actual item is does not show my business name but instead show the item description and it does not prompt for tips. What am I missing> What is the difference???? 

Message 2 of 32
Alumni

I've moved your post over to the thread where I answered your other questions about checkout links, @SMW.
The tip option for an item checkout link is dependent on having pickup and/or delivery turned on.

Try playing around with this on your end, and let me know here if other questions come up! 

Valentina
Message 3 of 32
Beta Member

I would also like to see more tipping options for checkout links. 

I use these for several athletic events for which we take photos. I am delivering a digital product, no "delivery/pickup" in the traditional sense. However, services were rendered for which many are happy to leave a tip for their photographer, but I can't seem to find a way to make this an option. 

I tried following the steps in this Square Support article: Get Started with Square Online Checkout Links 

Enable Tipping for Online Checkout

When you’re creating a Checkout link, you can easily allow for tips from your customers. To get started with accepting tips from your customers:

1. In your online Square Dashboard, go to Online Checkout

2. As you're creating your checkout link, go to Advanced Settings and check the box to Enable tipping.

3. Enter a name for your link and the amount you want to charge.

4. Click Create link and select Copy link to share the link anywhere.

Your customers will now automatically see tipping settings of 15%, 20%, and 25% on their payment link, with a default tip percentage of 15%. 

Note: Tipping is currently not available for links with subscriptions or recurring payments.

However, the steps didn't seem to make sense. I can't find an advanced settings option.

Do I need to change my links to "services" or "items" instead of a digital product?

Message 4 of 32

Can I set tip to 0?

Message 5 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hello @SCPDinc,

Welcome to The Seller Community! 👋😊 

I am happy to assist. In order to better assist can you provide a little more insight into why you want the $0 option? You can actually disable "Collect Tips" if you don't want people to have the ability to tip. You can go to More > Settings > Checkout > Tipping.  

Message 6 of 32
Alumni

Hi again @SMW 👋

Your customers will need to enter an email address when using a Square Online Checkout link, but they can also input their phone number at checkout in order to receive a text message including all of their order information!

This is an example of what that text message looks like when your customer receives it:

When they click on the link, they'll be taken to a full order page!
On a mobile device, this is what that will look like:

Valentina
Message 7 of 32

No that’s not the same thing. I mean when I send them a payment link via text or via my square checkout for a dollar amount. 

Message 8 of 32
Alumni

Ah, apologies @SMW!

You mentioned online checkout links, so I thought you were referring to our online checkout links!

It's not possible for your customer to request a text receipt when paying using a payment link, but if they do need a receipt texted to them after paying, you can send them one using the Square Point of Sale app or your Square Dashboard. Head to the transactions page (or tab in-app), select the transaction > Send Receipt > enter a phone number here.

Valentina
Message 9 of 32

Ah ok good work around. Thank you. What is the difference between a payment link and an online check out link? They look the same when I use them no?

Message 10 of 32
Alumni

Best Answer

Of course - happy that helps! 

You can learn a lot about Square Online Checkout links by taking a look at the page I linked in my last response! I also covered some nitty gritty details when some folks asked questions about checkout links herehere, and here. The screenshots included above are all from a checkout link I created via the Online Checkout page of my Dashboard.

I'll start with a quick walkthrough of the flow of sharing a payment link for comparison, then I'll run through a checkout link payment flow:

Select Send Payment Link >

Click Send link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when a payment link is sent via text:

It sounds like you may want to start using online checkout links instead of the payment links. You can share online checkout links from your Square Point of Sale app (Settings > Online checkout). You are also able to log into your Square Dashboard from a mobile device if you prefer to share online checkout links with your customers for the text receipt capability. 

Let's walk through what that looks like for you and your customer!
Remember, you're starting in-app Settings > Online checkout:

After selecting from your list here, you'll see this on your screen:

Select Share link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when an online checkout link is sent via text:

When they click on the link, this is what they will see:

They'll click Checkout to pay, and see this page:

During the checkout process, they will have a place to enter their phone number to receive order updates by text before paying. They will also receive an order confirmation text while being routed to the order confirmation screen:

Screenshot_20210212-171943 (1).jpg

This should get you exactly where you want to be @SMW!

Valentina
Message 11 of 32

Hmmm questions:  In your example using "online checkout" in the first screenshot did you choose "item link" or " amount link"? What is the difference? I have things listed in both and Im not sure where the "item links" came from if you can clarify that. It looks like "amount link" will prompt customer for a tip correct?  Thats what I need as I am selling a massage session however when I use "amount link" it doesnt offer a text receipt or confirmation anywhere.

So I am back to my original question i think...what is the difference between using "online checkout>amount links" and sending a  "payment link" from my checkout screen?

Also is there any charge for using "online checkout>amount links"?

Message 12 of 32
Alumni

In the Online Checkout link example, I chose Item links, @SMW.

The Item links section will include a pre-populated list of any Online Checkout links associated with items in your Item Library that you have created. The Amount links option will not be tied to items in your item library whatsoever, unless you select Sell Items. You will have the options to create a link to Collect payments, Accept donations, or Sell Items via this option.

This is not a bug, as Item Links will not be able to collect tips unless you have enabled tipping through your Square Online Dashboard for Pickup & Delivery. You can learn more about enabling tipping on Online Checkout links here. The only type of Online Checkout link that will allow tipping without the above step is the Collect payments type. When using checkout links, you’ll pay the standard eCommerce processing fee of 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction.

To answer your question about what the difference is between the two, I did my best to explain the differences above, but they function very similarly. As you can see in my screenshots, there are some visual and functional differences between the two, but the main difference is that when you create a Square Online Checkout link, it will live in your Square Dashboard. Payment links are more one-time-use type links, from what I understand. I recommend testing the two features out, and visiting the links I provided above for additional clarification, if you haven't already.

Valentina
Message 13 of 32

Again thank you for all this. However if I go to my ITEM GRID and choose an item to add to a sale, then as a payment type if I choose "SEND A PAYMENT LINK" isnt it true the customer is then prompted for a tip?

Message 14 of 32
Alumni

If you have already set up your Square Online website and have enabled tipping in the Pickup & Delivery section of your Square Online Dashboard settings, then you will see a tip line on an item payment link sent through your Square Point of Sale app as well @SMW.

Valentina
Message 15 of 32

Got it thank you once again

Message 16 of 32
Alumni

Happy to help!

I learned a lot myself, @SMW 😊

Valentina
Message 17 of 32

I’m sorry to torture you but this still is not clear. If I go to “online checkout” and choose “amount links” some of those links prompt for tipping and some do not. Why is that??  

Message 18 of 32
Alumni

Okay, so the Amount links creation flow is a bit odd because once you select the Amount links option > Create link, you'll have the option to create multiple types of checkout links, one of which is a Sell items link. As we learned above, Sell items links are the only type of checkout link that can be tipping-enabled @SMW.

After clicking Amount links you'll see this screen:

After clicking Create link you'll see this screen:

Tipping will not be an option if you create a link following the above flow. However, if on the above screen, you were to select Sell Items, you'll see the screen change to this one, where you can select items from your Item Library. You are now creating an Item link, which can be tipping-enabled so long as your Square Online website is set up and tipping is enabled:

Valentina
Message 19 of 32
Alumni

I'd like to add a bonus discovery I made while testing this feature just now! 

You asked earlier about your business name...

From the initial Online Checkout screen, click Settings:

...and you'll be brought here:

Valentina
Message 20 of 32

I followed all of your steps above, tipping is enabled in my square POS but tipping is not an option doing it the way you say (above.)  If I go to my regular checkout, add the same item and choose "send payment link" tipping is there.  Very Very frustrating. 

Additionally after sending links to clients more than 50% of the time the client clicks on the link and gets "Error 404 not found". What is happening??? Sometimes its right away. Sometimes its the next day. 

If I use my regular checkout screen, (not online checkout), choose my item, choose send payment link, send it to Sue O am I allowed to use that same link to choose to again send to Chris B? Furthermore should I be able to copy and paste the payment link from one text to another? I feel so very unprofessional with all of this back and forth between myself and my clients. I am trying to sell them on payment links saving time. 

Message 21 of 32