x

What's the difference between a checkout and payment link? Can customers receive a text receipt?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Checkout link and customers receipt

When using an online checkout link or payment link sent to the customer, once they pay the only receipt option is their email. How can a customer receive a text receipt if the do not want it sent to their email?

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Of course - happy that helps! 

You can learn a lot about Square Online Checkout links by taking a look at the page I linked in my last response! I also covered some nitty gritty details when some folks asked questions about checkout links herehere, and here. The screenshots included above are all from a checkout link I created via the Online Checkout page of my Dashboard.

I'll start with a quick walkthrough of the flow of sharing a payment link for comparison, then I'll run through a checkout link payment flow:

Select Send Payment Link >

Click Send link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when a payment link is sent via text:

It sounds like you may want to start using online checkout links instead of the payment links. You can share online checkout links from your Square Point of Sale app (Settings > Online checkout). You are also able to log into your Square Dashboard from a mobile device if you prefer to share online checkout links with your customers for the text receipt capability. 

Let's walk through what that looks like for you and your customer!
Remember, you're starting in-app Settings > Online checkout:

After selecting from your list here, you'll see this on your screen:

Select Share link via text >

An example of the text customers will see when an online checkout link is sent via text:

When they click on the link, this is what they will see:

They'll click Checkout to pay, and see this page:

During the checkout process, they will have a place to enter their phone number to receive order updates by text before paying. They will also receive an order confirmation text while being routed to the order confirmation screen:

Screenshot_20210212-171943 (1).jpg

This should get you exactly where you want to be @SMW!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Alumni

Are you able to share a few links with me as examples here @SMW?

I'd especially like to see a link that's resulted in an error message for your customers.

Valentina
Message 22 of 32

Sure but what would you like to see? The error message? A screenshot of the link in the text? 

Message 23 of 32

8400C402-500B-48E0-B8A6-591707E03DC1.png

Above: I go into my checkout screen and choose my 90 minute grandfathered rate session (90 G)

B113E556-7603-44F5-B9BD-48FA8BA72BA0.png

 Then I choose “send a payment link”

F02C401B-106E-4549-9877-FDF1BB516DD8.png

then I choose “share link” so that I can text it with my reminder message

6BA6856E-07A3-4357-A4CA-10A4DE058E19.png

i am

about to text it. The full link reads “

https://checkout.square.site/merchant/81XS57WMG7JGE/location/MXW1W6MDD1VAQ/order/8dhoujY2PJcjGiqsPlm...

51BB8A53-4F86-437C-9087-3F0EB568C062.png

This is how it looks when I send it to my client. 50% of the time it works and 50% of the time they get this error message below 

B8D5DFB0-9CBC-4618-8751-04F33ADEDC46.png

ive tested it over and over. Sometime it errors out moments after it’s sent. Sometimes it errors out whether I’ve copied and pasted from a previous text. Whether I’ve created it new.  Whether I’ve used the same “share link” prompt to send to other customers. But sometimes it works. I cannot find any rhyme or reason for it but my clients are getting a little frustrated. If it’s something I am doing I need to understand it and would so appreciate any insight. 

Message 24 of 32
Alumni

Thank you for providing these screenshots and detailed descriptions, @SMW!

Just to clarify a bit further, you are creating this payment link, then sharing it with one client?
Or are you creating a single payment link using the above steps, then sharing that exact link with multiple clients?

Valentina
Message 25 of 32

Both scenarios. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. I have gone through the trouble of clearing the entire sale after sendng the first pay link and creating a whole new sale to send the next link and these still sometimes error out for the customer. (But this is way too many steps for this to be beneficial at this point lol). I try to double check the link within the customer text (once sent) and sometimes it works fine...sometimes not.

Message 26 of 32
Alumni

Hm - a variety of things could be happening here, so I recommend reaching out directly in order for our team to help pinpoint why the links you are creating are not working, @SMW. I wish I could be of more help here, but it sounds like we'll need to dig in a bit more than I'm able to through the Community. 

When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Valentina
Message 27 of 32

Also I dont think this was answered yet:

If I go to my checkout and use the item grid to add an item to the order then send a payment link this is texted showing my business name and does allow tipping, GREAT.

If I go to either "online checkout>item link"  and send the link from there the text sent to customer does not show my business name but instead shows the item description and does not allow for tipping. Bug?

Message 28 of 32

Used SquareUp Checkout link , buyer paid using Mastercard. Payment declined a few times due to her bank she contacted them got it processed, at the bottom of the transaction details I see total deposited but can’t find it anywhere. 

Message 29 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @RMS2019,

For clarification are the funds that came from that order not showing in your account at all? 

Ellie
Message 30 of 32

I have many different products and each one comes in multiple colors. When creating a payment link, how do I let my customers choose which color of each product they want to purchase?

Message 31 of 32
Alumni

This wouldn't be possible, @DVDMAN2017 📀 

In order to create a payment link via the Square Point of Sale app, you must first select a variation.

Have you looked at Square Online Checkout links yet?

That may be more along the lines of what you're looking to do!

I've gone ahead and moved your post to this thread where I explained some of the differences between Square Online Checkout links and payment links. Let me know if any questions come up when you've had a chance to take a peek there.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 32 of 32