x

What to do about returned checks?

Whats the best way to deal with returned checks.  

A customer wrote a check back in Nov that was misplaced by our employee.  When we found it at the end of Dec it was rung into square POS and deposited in our bank.  In the mean time the customer issued a stop payment without telling us so the check was not honored.  He has since replaced the check and his account is all squared up.

However now we show two payments from the same guy for the same thing.  I've tried searching for answers and came up empty.

Is there a way to simply void the old transaction?  In the dashboard I only see the option to issue a refund however a message pops up saying the dollar amount will be deducted from my bank account.  

I realize in hindsight the replacement check should not have been rung up in square as a new transaction but that is now water under the bridge.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Walters_Camp!

I'm not sure if I can advise much on what to do about a returned check since Square solely processes cards.

The cash/check option is there solely for reporting purposes and if it's refunded and rung in as a cash/check transaction, it shouldn't take from your bank account since it wasn't ever deposited by us in the first place.

I would make sure it was in the system as a cash/check or Other transaction but you should be able to refund it.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2