x

Whats does the "upcoming" status mean on my orders section?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Question about order status]

In the Orders section, what does the status "upcoming" mean?

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thanks for including those screenshots, @Rp3 - very helpful! And thanks for your patience here. I am going to step in for Alex on this one while he's out. 

The Upcoming Orders tab will automatically queue up orders that need attention within the Prep Time you've set up for your business. Once an order moves within the allotted prep time window, it will automatically move to the Upcoming tab. More on this from this thread here.

I personally don't think you sound mean, at all! On the contrary, we are quite grateful for your helpful feedback. At the end of the day, small changes and improvements can make a large impact on your business and we want to make sure we can assist in providing the most streamlined and efficient product we can.

I'm flagging this thread over to our Product Teams for more visibility. Should any changes come down the pipeline, we will reach back out here and let you know.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Alumni

Hello @jpacitto,

Thank you for posting in the Seller Community. Welcome.

Happy to look into this. Where are you seeing this? On your online store, within the app, or another section? (If you could include a screenshot, that would be amazing.)

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 25
Beta Member

upcoming orders appears in the app under the "orders" tab which manages online orders.

It seems that orders appear here when they are scheduled a few hours in advance(how far in advance I don't know). Orders that are deemed upcoming do not automatically print. I have found this to be an extremely unwelcome feature. Is there a way to turn it off? What happens is that those orders get shuffled away under their own tab where they can sometimes be over looked. I don't see any benefit right now. If you could set it up to print the orders X minutes in advance of the scheduled time, or if it shuffled away orders for days in advance, but then printed them on the day they were scheduled for, those could be interesting features but as it stands it just complicates the system by requiring someone to ,manually print new orders. Is there a way to control this new feature that I am not aware of?

Message 3 of 25
Alumni

Hi @Rp3

Happy to look into this and escalate it over with our Weebly Team. Can you provide your URL and a screenshot of what you are experiencing and how it appears on your side? Thank you!

Please let me know by replying in this thread. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 25
Beta Member

upcoming 1.jpgupcoming 2.jpg

As far as I can tell, my orders go into the upcoming category when they have a pickup time 30 minutes or more in advance. This was not the case before and has not been a good change for us.

Maybe there is a way to change the settings somewhere but I have not found it yet....I really don't like it. Maybe its useful for some places but for our restaurant, it is bad. Seems like a solution looking for a problem and something you should be able to control or turn off at least.

I don't want to sound mean or angry, I'm not, I understand things can be complicated in ways that I do not yet understand but it does not inspire confidence that squares seems not to be aware of this feature or how it works. Just seems like something that could have been announced at least to the customer support team.

Message 5 of 25

Best Answer

Thanks for including those screenshots, @Rp3 - very helpful! And thanks for your patience here. I am going to step in for Alex on this one while he's out. 

The Upcoming Orders tab will automatically queue up orders that need attention within the Prep Time you've set up for your business. Once an order moves within the allotted prep time window, it will automatically move to the Upcoming tab. More on this from this thread here.

I personally don't think you sound mean, at all! On the contrary, we are quite grateful for your helpful feedback. At the end of the day, small changes and improvements can make a large impact on your business and we want to make sure we can assist in providing the most streamlined and efficient product we can.

I'm flagging this thread over to our Product Teams for more visibility. Should any changes come down the pipeline, we will reach back out here and let you know.

Joe
Message 6 of 25
Beta Member

This is not my experience with upcoming orders. My prep time is set to 15 minutes and I had an order today made for 25 minutes in advance and that one was not put into the upcoming orders section and printed out immediately. Further, upcoming orders, in my experience, never print. We have to manually print these orders and when its busy, sometimes they get lost in the weeds.

Two major issues I have, even if this feature did function as described (properly): 

1. I would much rather my orders just print when they come in no matter how far in advance they are. That information is useful to the kitchen and we don't always have someone who can baby sit the POS to make sure we know about all the orders coming up.

2. If they don't automatically print, that would be the main issue, but if they are suppose to print 15 minutes ahead (our default prep time), this would not be great either since we would not be able to plan out our rush ahead of time. We would always be receiving orders 15 minutes in advance instead of getting a good "heads up" if a customer wants their food later. 

I hope this makes sense and can be addressed. It was not a problem for us before when orders came in hours before they needed to be made, it was good actually, but it is a problem now when they don't come in at all because someone didn't manually print them, and it would be a problem if they only ever printed according to our set prep time.

Message 7 of 25

@Rp3 thanks for letting us know. That feedback really is helpful for the development team to continue building this product out and it definitely will be shared with them. 

As far as the printing not working, I think it is time to contact Weebly Support so that they can take a look at the specifics of your account. 

From our end, we will bubble up your amazing feedback to our team. 

AshleyK
Message 8 of 25
Beta Member

So can I turn off upcoming orders? It's annoying for me everyday.

Message 9 of 25
Beta Member

Issues with upcoming orders continue. It is an unnecessary feature for most restaurants. Can there please be a way to set up online orders so they print when they come in regardless of when they are placed. Every person on my staff knows that upcoming orders are tricky and they need to look out for them and make sure to print them but it can still happen, because mistakes happen at restaurants.

Consider this scenario: A customer places a massive order 3 hours ahead during a busy rush. The order gets shuffled away into upcoming orders and does not print until 15 minutes before the scheduled pickup (as the system is designed), now suddenly the kitchen has an order that can't be done in 15 minutes even if there were no other orders, but in this fairly common scenario, there are plenty of other orders and now the whole kitchen is set back 25-30 minutes on just that one order. Angry frustrated customers, some of whom, do not return and tell their friends how bad their experience was. 

Now imagine that same order didn't print at all and only gets found when the customer shows up.

I've noticed this happen at other restaurants around town when I order from them online as well:

I show up at the scheduled time and the staff gets the same look on their face that my staff gets on their face when they can't find an order. If the place is busy you can feel the extra stress immediately. Fortunately for them, when it happens to me, I know what happened because I also use square but most customers don't have that inside knowledge and can become very frustrated that their order isn't even started when they show up.

Please help if possible, Square.   

Message 10 of 25

Is there a way to turn this feature off so my upcoming orders will print right when they are first placed?

Message 11 of 25

Please just have the Dev team remove the "upcoming" feature as it is not helpful...at all.

Message 12 of 25

We are experiencing the same problem at our restaurant. The "upcoming orders" tab is becoming increasingly frustrating as orders placed in advance continue to get swept away by current orders.

The tickets do not print or come through our KDS at all when placed in advance. Is there a way I can edit this to at least show up on the KDS?

We have had several upset customers write us about this issue. Please help fix this asap!

Message 13 of 25

Just wanted to +1 this feature. Would also love to be able to either turn off upcoming orders or schedule it to print 30 minutes ahead of time instead of 15 minutes when my prep time was set.. 

Message 14 of 25
Beta Member

We’re suddenly having this issue now. Can we turn it off?

Message 15 of 25
Alumni

The upcoming feature cannot be turned off as long as prep time is enabled. @1369Coffeehouse

Justin
Message 16 of 25

Upcoming orders just started functioning different for us TODAY.  In the past, only scheduled orders would occupy that space (ones where the person chose a time in advance).  But on weekends we disable the ability to pre-schedule because it's too busy, and suddenly today we have ALL orders over 15 minutes going into "Upcoming" instead of printing immediately.

On the plus side, it seems less stressful to see 10 tickets on deck instead of 30, but on the negative side, it's hard to see what's coming and the bigger picture.

Did Square change something in the app?  Is this permanent?  Is there a setting where we can control this?  I just wonder why others have experienced this for awhile, but it's just behaving like this now for the first time for us.

Message 17 of 25
Admin

Hey @RoasterChica- Just so I'm understanding, where are you looking at the upcoming orders? Dashboard or POS?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 18 of 25

We manage all our active orders from the Orders screen on our iPad POS. 

And contrary to others, we decided we really liked the way it systematically  doled out orders; it helped pace us with less stress. I just hope it doesn’t disappear!

Message 19 of 25

@nika And today, just to continue to document what is happening, it is not sequencing upcoming orders the same way as yesterday.  Today it is printing everything out as the orders arrive.  It's like we're dealing with a bipolar system with no apparent oversight.

This is unacceptable!  Order management needs to be consistent... how do we go back to the way it was yesterday?

Message 20 of 25

yesterday...

1035 AM Sat Mar 27.jpeg

Message 21 of 25