x

Why are debit cards being declined???

I run debit cards the same as I do a credit card, but they are always declined.  Square is supposed to take debit cards so why are my debit card payments from customers declined?   In my business the cards are always entered manually and never swiped.  I need help with this please if anyone can?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

There is no specfic reason Debit cards would be declined from Squares end they simply pass on the answer they recieve from the bank.  It could be the card issuing bank declining the payment due to low funds, the fact that it is a manually entered card payment, it is an out of state charge, the zip code doesn't match etc.

the best way to solve it would be to have your client call their bank to see why they are declining the purchase.

We accept thousands of debit cards so I know they work.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5082-why-did-my-payment-fail

Message 2 of 14

I'm having the same problem. Bank of America debit cards are allways declined.  My customer then goes to the bank and withdraws cash.  So they have the money in their account, but it is still declined.  Any Ideas?

Message 3 of 14
Square

@ttyler - Please check out the article that is linked above. It covers the decline reasons. I'd suggest that you have your customer flip over their card and chat with their bank. They'll know the exact decline reason. This information is not shared with Square in most circumstances. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 14

The only problem is ALL of the debit cards I run, regardless of the bank (which there have been several different banks) are all declined.   I just can't have everyone to call their bank.

Message 5 of 14
Square

@Outlawbonds - It wouldn't be a result of your Square account. Everything looks good on my end. Please have your customers contact their bank. They will be able to tell you exactly what is going on - no need to guess. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 14

Anytime my customers try to pay for their orders through my online store powered by webbly, their payment keep declining. All my customers has been complaining, how can you help me fix this. 

Message 7 of 14
Admin

Hi @Gdk9!

Sorry to hear about this.

Are all payments declining through your website? Or just some? 

We will likely need to review the specific transactions to determine what might be happening. Because this is account specific information, I would suggest contacting us. 

Our number is (855) 700-6000 - but you'll also need your customer code. The steps to look up your code are here. We will be open tomorrow at 6am Pacific Time to take calls. Thank you! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 14

Why do some credit cards decline but work well with my other square account.

i have a lodging and bnb 

Message 9 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Midcot14,

I moved your post to a relevant thread where another seller asked about declining cards.

@VanKalkerFarms shared some more information on his reply on why cards can decline and what next steps to take when it happens. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 14

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Declined Payment From Wayfair

Went to process a payment from Wayfair (pretty big account) first payment no problem. Second payment "declined", I reached out to Wayfair and they responded that there is "no way" their card should be declined. Then come the fun of trying to find the unfindable phone number to contact square support.

So far using square has really been a clunky and horrible experience

Message 11 of 14
Alumni

Yikes, seems like a headache. Sorry about your frustrating experience using Square. That's not the kind of first impression we aim for.  

We aren't able to see the exact reason for a decline. Even if the card has sufficient funds and the card info entered matches the banks records, sometimes the card will still decline due to various security measures/fraud blocks. 

we recommend your client reach out to their bank to learn more or use a different payment method. 

@SKonkle

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 14

I have used my own card to check and the funds are available in my account, but still being declined. I have several customers that have been affected and now I’m considering using another service provider.  Very disappointed!

Message 13 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AMA68,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble accepting payments!

While we can't see the reason why a card declines, your bank would be able to tell you more about the exact reason.

If you're seeing a lot of declines, we'd recommend reaching out to our support team so they can take a look. As we can't look into account specific information via this public forum, reach out to CS here

Message 14 of 14