x

Why are they asking Mastercard Debit or Debit to be selected when processing a Mastercard?

When  you run a Mastercard now a screen pops up asking to select Mastercard Debit OR Debit. Why is that? And how do we get rid of it? Our cashier likes to keep things simple and as little steps as possible so we would like to remove it but I can not find anything on how to do so.  

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi all! Wanted to give a quick update in regards to this debit/credit screen appearing. Our team is working on a solution that will be available in the next firmware update. Although I'm not 100% sure on when that update will be ready, I can assure you that it will be soon, so keep an eye out.

In the mean time, your customers can select either option, and it won't affect the transaction.

Thanks for your patience! 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Beta Member

We also saw this start happening over the weekend. It definitely confuses customers when it gives them two different options for "Debit", but I suspect that's a bank issue, since it doesn't happen with all cards. However, I would have liked to have been notified that this change was coming. Usually Square is better than that.

Message 2 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @cmassino and @prologuebooksho!

Our engineers are currently looking into this issue so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We'll loop back once we find out more. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 13

Have used square for 5 years and just now when a customer uses their card we are getting prompted with Debit / Debit MasterCard  or Debit / Credit. Is this a new feature? Can we bypass this feature like signatures?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

I also had a customer today that was given that choice. She was confused because her card was a credit card. We have never seen that before either.  Not all my customers today were given that choice.

I hope that is not going to be a choice for every customer. I personally am annoyed when I charge something and it asks that question as it should read it as a debit or credit card without me telling it. 

Message 5 of 13

Hi there, @AlohaShavedIce - and hi to @MittenBeach! Thanks for adding your voices here. This is a weird one, indeed.

We have fielded a few reports about this, and our Engineers are actively looking into it so that we can get some more clarity. In the meantime, I've merged this thread into an existing thread about this issue - just so we can keep track of everyone receiving this option during checkout. This way, we can update everyone collectively when we know more.

Thanks for your patience! We should be reaching back with more info soon. 

Joe
Message 6 of 13

So I have been using Square for a long time at our restaurant. We run as a counter service operation and we are closely located to the college campus. Because of this we need to be as fast as possible to get the customers their orders sent as they are all on a tight time frame.  

As of yesterday some debit cards and or credit cards no longer automatically take the customers name. Once manually typed in we have to select whether or not the card is a debit or credit card. Why is this happening and what effect does it have in all regards? Is there a way to disable this to expedite the order more efficiently? Please help. 

Message 7 of 13

Hi there, @Grille2020 - thanks for reaching out here on the Seller Community.

I'm going to merge your post with an ongoing thread about this issue. It looks like this discrepancy stated appearing for Sellers a few days ago, and our Engineers are currently looking into it.

We will update the thread here when we know more. Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Message 8 of 13
Admin

Best Answer

Hi all! Wanted to give a quick update in regards to this debit/credit screen appearing. Our team is working on a solution that will be available in the next firmware update. Although I'm not 100% sure on when that update will be ready, I can assure you that it will be soon, so keep an eye out.

In the mean time, your customers can select either option, and it won't affect the transaction.

Thanks for your patience! 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 13

We are also having a problem with customer's names being missing from the order ticket. This is preventing us from getting orders to customers in a timely manner.

Message 10 of 13

If you are having issues with names try these steps:

1, Once order is ready for checkout do not select charge, instead just insert card.

2. The card will try to take the name but eventually you will see a Username Available pop up.

3. Manually type in their name. The forcing of name or number can actually be helpful. 

4. Hit whatever button and flip the screen around to allow them to sign or tip. 

Message 11 of 13

We are having the issue as well.  It is confusing to many of our customers (AND ME!).  Last night we had "Debit" or "Debit" pop up.  Doesn't make any sense.  Hope you can help.

Message 12 of 13

Hey @HauntedGame thanks for reaching out. I have merged your post with an existing thread that already answers the first part of your question. For a workaround though, you can update your settings to show the name of the order instead of just "order" or "order number."

You will do this under Settings > Printer Stations > Toggle on "Order Tickets" > Select "Enter Custom Number or Name"

You will just be required to enter in the customer's name at the time of their order rather than relying on it to happen automatically, but it should also save you time when delivering your orders.

Let me know if this helps! Thanks!

AshleyK
Message 13 of 13