x

How can I charge the cancellation fee?

Sean I have a problem where the Square is not letting me charge a cancellation fee. I had 5 people scheduled to book today and now have nothing to show for it. Please help me resolve this issue and charge the cards they had on file.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@NOLAFloat504 - Sorry to hear about the trouble! To get going, I went ahead and turned your comment into its own thread. It's best to post your questions to the whole community, as opposed to just commenting on an individual thread - more people will see it.

As for your question, if you'd like to charge a customer for a no show, you have to make sure you have option enabled from the Appointments Dashboard. You would need to make sure that "Booking with No-Show Protection" has been selected and saved. Learn more about this feature. If you'd like us to take a closer look at your account settings, you'd need to reach out directly. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Square

Best Answer

@NOLAFloat504 - Sorry to hear about the trouble! To get going, I went ahead and turned your comment into its own thread. It's best to post your questions to the whole community, as opposed to just commenting on an individual thread - more people will see it.

As for your question, if you'd like to charge a customer for a no show, you have to make sure you have option enabled from the Appointments Dashboard. You would need to make sure that "Booking with No-Show Protection" has been selected and saved. Learn more about this feature. If you'd like us to take a closer look at your account settings, you'd need to reach out directly. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Cancellation fee not being collected

I am a hair stylist and I have a cancellation / no-show policy. I usually don't have to use it, but the few times I do it seems to never work. when I mark no show and collect the fee it just goes back to the checkout board. Am I doing something wrong?

Message 3 of 14
Alumni

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community, @Inspirations!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've encountered with cancellation fees - I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it with your help. I've moved your post over to this thread where @Sean has outlined a couple of things to take a look at here.

If you're still not sure what happened after reviewing, please reach out directly so that our Customer Success team can take a closer look at your account.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 14

Why am I getting an error when trying to charge a client a no-show fee?

Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Shinchic! Welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a relevant thread where there's some more information provided about how to have this set up to make sure you can use this feature.

If it is set up as @Sean listed above- I would recommend reaching out to our Appointments Team directly to take a look at this error with you since I can't see into your account specifics here from the Community. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 14

I also have this issue. If the customer decides to take their card off before they no- show there is no way to charge it, you just get an error of "this card cannot be charged".... Seems like there is NO protection for the business at all. 

Message 7 of 14

I have two different cancellation policies with different costs. How do I charge the different fees? One is a cancellation fee and the other is charging the full amount for a no show. 

Message 8 of 14
Alumni

When setting up a cancellation fee, you must set up the cancellation fee for a specific service on the service item page itself.

At this time, it is not possible to set up more than one type of cancellation fee for a specific service item.

Is that what you're asking, or am I misunderstanding the question, @Backtolife?

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 9 of 14

Thank you. So there's no way to distinguish fees between the "no show" option and the "cancel" option? Also, I have some people where I waive the fee due to emergencies, etc. So does canceling the appointment automatically charge them? 

Message 10 of 14

Hi @Backtolife

I found the following information in this cancellation policy guide

Canceled appointments are labeled in gray and appointments marked no-show are labeled in red in the client’s record.

Even if you have a cancellation policy enabled, policy enforcement will be at your discretion. You have two weeks (14 calendar days) to choose to charge your customer. If you do so, they will receive an email notification, including any note you add, informing them of the appointment cancellation and any resulting fee. Your client will also be reminded of your policy if they attempt to cancel outside of your cancellation window.

I hope this information helps clarify, but please let us know if you still have questions. 

Message 11 of 14

What happens when you try to charge the card in those 14 day (right now its not accepting charge)  it goes thru and the client disputes the charge? If policy is stated at booking am i protected?

Message 12 of 14

Every time I try to charge the cancellation policy it says the payment is declined. It happens every time. Does square accept invalid credit cards for booking? Or why is it happening with multiple clients? They can’t all have maxed out their credit cards? 

Message 13 of 14

Hi @GlowRoom  - Thanks for following up on this thread.

I'd like to share this post from one of our Square Sellers, @Stacelyn24  for more insight into why a client's card may decline for no-show protection.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 14 of 14