x

Why is Square using data when it is idle?

I am using a pre paid mobile hotspot in order to facilitate usage of my square terminal in remote locations. I turn the square on and it is using data at a fairly high rate (10mb per min) when I am not doing anything. Is this normal? I was under the assumption that it would only be using data on a per transaction basis. I can’t imagine what type of communication is needed when I am not even typing. Please explain....thank you.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Shadyplace

Thank you for reaching out about how much data Square uses. Below is a chart of the breakdown. 

Another option is to turn off the app in the "background" of your device. It's different for each device. I would recommend Googling the preferred method for yours. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

Thank you for your response. I am aware of this chart of data use as many people have forwarded it to me through different venues that I have asked the same question. However, what I don’t think people are understanding is that I didn’t even use the square for anything......no transactions....no sale....no inventory...no reports....brand new out of the box.....I turned it on and it used 650 mb out of my 2 gb card. The next time I turned it on it used 50 mb! I haven’t even made a sale at this point and I’ve used half my card. Is it updates? Is it something I’m doing wrong? I’m I hitting a button that eats data? I wanted to do it this way so that I could easily separate my business costs...I love the square....it’s awesome...I just want to be able to run this system smoothly... thank you again for your help...I’m just frustrated...not at square, not at you...just my inability to understand the situation.

Message 3 of 12

Definitely understand the frustration on this, @Shadyplace

Do you know if your phone or tablet has the option to "put an app to sleep" or turn off "background activity"? 

This has saved me with my own Samsung device when apps were draining my data and even battery. If not, please let me know and I will do a deeper dive on my end. 

Kassi
Message 4 of 12

To be clear...there is no iPad, tablet or phone.....there is no other device that is connected to the mobile hotspot....except for the square terminal. That’s why it is so confusing to me. I realize that I could save many headaches if I just would get a smart phone..

but, I really wanted to be able to separate personal and business expenses and be able to budget by paying ahead ( straight talk). 

It all seemed so convenient, so technologically cool....because I’m really not savvy with tech...

and here I am...loving the square...but not the data drain....

thank you for your help..I didn’t expect anyone to be so helpful.

Message 5 of 12

I am so sorry, @Shadyplace! I completely missed where you stated you're using the Square Terminal and had assumed you were using a phone connected to a reader. That is 100% my mistake. 

How do you have your software updates set up on your Terminal? Are they automatically initiated?  

This can cause the uptick in your data consumption because the Terminal will be seeking out the updates constantly. 

Kassi
Message 6 of 12

Ok, we may be getting somewhere because I can not find where I can set the updates....I must’ve looked through every option on here ( except for the one I need, obviously). I looked through each option....checkout, orders, transactions....etc and couldn’t find the options for updates). Where should I look? And, thank you for your time....I am 48 years old. I know 80 year olds with more digital savvy than myself....so once again thank you.

Message 7 of 12

No worries, @Shadyplace

So it looks like the Terminal are automatic as a default, but I have found some workarounds to help with the data usage. 

The first option, is to turn off your Terminal each night. Because this terminal can be in "Sleep Mode" when it's not in use & still update. 

Normally, software updates at scheduled for 3:00am to avoid messing with normal business hours. 

So the second option is to adjust your nightly reboot time. To do this go, to Settings > General from the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner. Tap Nightly Reboot and select the time that works best for your business. That way you can make sure the device is off or connected to wifi before the nightly update check. 

Kassi
Message 8 of 12

Once again, thank you. Because that is the only thing that it could be....I am going to change the auto upgrade to nightly, leaving the device on....and have it connected to my home WiFi for updates...then when I begin business day, I will switch to my mobile hotspot....it sounds like this makes sense...so once again, thank you. You have been a big help!

Message 9 of 12

@Shadyplace

Happy to help! I am glad we got the best workaround for you to save you some data. 

Appreciate you posting in the Community! 

Kassi
Message 10 of 12

Hi there, I am having the same issue of the square terminal using a huge amount of data while sitting idle. The fix listed above did not work(already set to 3AM reboot time). All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Message 11 of 12

Welcome to the Community, @BBicecream

Sorry to hear none of the above workaround were able to help with your Square Terminal. 

Do you have an idea on how much data your Terminal is using? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 12 of 12