x

Why is square so slow to create or update an item? Going thru the browser

I'm using Square POS and it is extremely difficult to update prices or add inventory or create items when using the dashboard though my browser, not the app. It's Square-not my internet connection - this is almost to the point that I have to look for an alternative- I can't spend this amount of time waiting for things to load when I have so many items in my store and inventory to tack with multiple deliveries per week. This is insane!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

We are having the same issues and frustrations as you’ve described. It is the web browser causing issues. We’ve tried Google Chrome and it seems to be a bit better. 

Message 2 of 7

We use all apple products & not switching- I will switch off Square if I can't get this resolved

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ramie -

Sorry to hear the issues you're having when using your Dashboard to add items. What kind of issues are you experiencing? 

Also, which internet browser are you using? Depending on the issues you're seeing switching to Google Chrome can be a huge help. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

I am having the same issues using my IPad and Safari, it refuses to allow me to add a vendor.  Its averaging 20 to 30 minutes per item.  My order has 22 new items, who can spend 11 hours entering items into Square.  So now I have 3 new orders sitting in my backroom that I  can not sell until I get them loaded. Please look into this.

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

@TOTCshop ;

When your on your Ipad instead of using Safari, goto Apples Store and Search for Square for Retail or Square Pos whichever you are using.  If you are using Square POS; I recommend getting at least Square for Retail (Free).  

compare-square-for-retail-and-square-point-of-sale 

Then on your Ipad select the Hamburger Menu in the bottom Right (3 Lines) then Select Items, then Search or add a new item.  This is faster than using Safari through an Ipad.  If you want to use the Square Dashboard way of adding new items on a computer, I would recommend exporting your Items Catalog then filling the fields of all your items, Leaving Token Blank.  Enter all your items there and then Import them back to Square. Here is how to export and Import items:

import-items 

I have found that when I create a new item on Ipad Stand 1, Ipad Stand 2 does not see the New item until I select the Hamburger menu -Items.... then at the bottom of Ipad select Checkout.  Hope all this helps you.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 7

Keith,

Thank you for your help. We do pay for Square for Retail so we can use all the features they offer.

And I can load items directly into the Square app on my stand. The problem being that it does not offer the same options as creating an item online.  For instance, I add the vendor and modifiers to each item as well as types, styles etc In the customized tabs.  In addition to that, when I am entering a new item from a order, once I  create that item with the vendor and the modifiers, then I was able to duplicate the 1st item to speed up my loading time. That option is not working online and it is not available within the program.  So I am paying for a program that I could customize in order to track my merchandise,  but it is useless if I can not load or modify items online.  

When I download the catalog, there is between 5,000 - 6,000 line items.  So this becomes a very time consuming option as well. 

Before this last update,  I was able to create, duplicate and customize each item in a very reasonable amount of time.  Now the system freezes,  it won't duplicate,  and I have had to restart my iPad multiple times when loading 1 new item. 

I am very frustrated at this point. 

I have been using Square for years so I know my way around the program,  it is simply not working properly.  

Thanks again for your help. 

Jane 

Turn of the Century 

Message 7 of 7