x

Why isn't the Tax applied to the Total on the online store?

I've entered my tax info into the settings and the taxes are showing up on my checkout page, but they are not applying to the customer's total. Does anyone know how to correct that?tax question.JPGtax.JPG

Message 1 of 23
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @EvolveKelly-

Please uncheck the “taxes are included in item prices” option within Online Store > Settings > Taxes. This should resolve your issue:

I know it's confusing, but it’s basically showing the item with tax as part of the total then “explaining” how much of the item price is tax. I hope this resolves your issue! Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Admin

Hey @hwhittle-

Are you referring to taxes not being applied to shipping costs? If so, please go to Online Store > Settings > Taxes, and then scroll down to ensure the following is checked off:

Does that resolve your issue? Let me know! 👀

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 23

No, I’ve checked all of those boxes. The taxes are showing up on the checkout screen but the total due is not correct. In the example I posted

$35 -product 

$7 - shipping

$3.20 - taxes

The total due is showing $42 (product & shipping), but the total should be $45.20 (product, shipping & taxes).

Message 3 of 23
Admin

Hey @hwhittle-

That doesn't sound right. Please give us a call so we can look into this and make it right. I'd hate for you to lose out on any further taxes from these orders. 

Let us know if they're able to find a solution for you, or identify the issue. This information may be useful to any other seller who comes across the same error. Thanks for your time! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 23

Hello,

I am trying to setup my square store and in the process of testing, I notice that the order total does not include taxes. Am I missing something?

Please see attached screenshot.

ThanksCheckoutError.jpg

Message 5 of 23
Admin

Hey @LaudShawarma

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Hmmm. How are your Tax Calculations set up? Do you have your tax included in item price or separate?

That may be impacting the appearance of receipts and taxes. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 6 of 23

Thanks Isabelle,

I have double checked. I am using the 6% taxes for MD.

Here is a screenshot:TaxSetuo.jpg

Message 7 of 23
Admin

Hey @LaudShawarma-

Thanks for your reply. Can you take a look at my first reply in this thread and ensure that your settings are not to include tax in item price? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 8 of 23

Hello Isabelle,

Thank you for your help.

In your response to this thread, you asked the individual to give you a call.

I have tried everything on the thread, checked all my taxes and made sure the items are not tax exempt.

I have verified every single item. The taxes is not adding to the total amount. Exact same issues the other person on the thread was having.

Did you want me to call as well?

Thanks

Message 9 of 23
Beta Member

When a person purchases an item on my website the taxes are not being added to the Order Total. The Taxes are being calculated and displayed under the subtotal, however, the taxes are not being added to the Order Total or being charged to the client when they checkout.

Square Order Summary.png

Message 10 of 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @EvolveKelly-

Please uncheck the “taxes are included in item prices” option within Online Store > Settings > Taxes. This should resolve your issue:

I know it's confusing, but it’s basically showing the item with tax as part of the total then “explaining” how much of the item price is tax. I hope this resolves your issue! Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 11 of 23

@isabelle  @EvolveKelly 

YOU GUYS SAVED THE DAY....😀

Thank you so much. It worked perfectly. Even does the correct tax calculation.

Have a fantastic day.

LaudShawarma

Message 12 of 23
Admin

Aw! Glad that worked @LaudShawarma😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 13 of 23
Beta Member

@isabelle

That worked great! Thank you!!

Message 14 of 23

@isabelle  thank you so much! Sorry I was not able to call, but I have been extremely busy elsewhere this week. Unchecking the "taxes are included in item prices" box fixed the issue. Thanks so much for your help!

Message 15 of 23
Admin

Hey @hwhittle!

Thanks for your reply. So glad I could help! 🌟

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 16 of 23

Hi @hwhittle,

How did you resolve this issue with your site?

I am having the same issues with my site.

Thanks in advance.

LaudShawarma

Message 17 of 23
Admin

Hey @LaudShawarma-

Yes, if this still hasn't been resolved, and you've taken a look at my most recent post in this thread, please give us a call. Feel free to follow back up in this thread. Thanks so much for your time, and sorry about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 23

I'm having the same issue do I need to go in and add ever state? When they buy in Florida it shows taxes but out of tax it don't includes their taxes.

Message 19 of 23

I am having this same issue and and I have missed out of 24 orders in taxes 😕

Message 20 of 23
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Cx2 👋  Welcome to the Seller Community! 🎉

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your store! Do you have more than one website? The site linked to the account you are logged into does not have any orders yet, however, this site IS setup properly for taxes. 

Taxes will not show on the checkout screen until an address is entered. This is because you will not charge taxes for every online order you process. Generally, taxes are applied for shipments that are delivered to states where you have a nexus - which is a physical business presence (like a warehouse). I tested my state of Arizona and did not get charged taxes, but when I used the Savana Bananas stadium address, I did have taxes charged. 

A couple more things I noticed...

1. I tested the Statement Tee, and saw that there was a variation for Glitter Vinyl and Specialty Vinyl. Instead of making these variations, like the shirt sizes, you should use Modifiers. This way someone can order the correct size tee, then have the option to upgrade to the premium vinyl options. When you set up the modifiers you can make them required (like if you need a custom name) or they can be optional. You can also choose to make the modifiers free, or add an additional price on top of the price of the actual item. Check out THIS guide for a step by step for setting these up. 

2. Are you planning on offering free shipping for all orders? You do not have any shipping rates setup yet so all orders will process without a shipping fee. If you DO want to charge for shipping make sure you set this up under Fulfillment > Shipping > Shipping Profiles. We have a guide for this, too, which you can find HERE.

I hope this helps! I sent a lot of information here so if you need clarification on anything, or have additional questions please feel free to @ me in your reply. 😊

Message 21 of 23