x

Will Square recognize a variable-weight barcode label printed by a CAS-1000 scale?

I have a specialty food shop and we sell cheese by weight. We've been weighing individual pieces and then entering items into Square POS in hundredth of a pound units (i.e., if something is $20/lb, we set the price as $0.20 each and enter 50 units for .50 pound sold). This is time consuming, and I'd like to get a label-printing scale that I can program with item weights and print barcode labels. 

But when I scan those labels, will Square recognize info about the item and the weight? I need to be able to keep track of inventory sold, so if scanning won't work then it's not worth investing in the scale.

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

Square POS - going to try to reformat our barcode

Message 22 of 46
Beta Member

@SJBreakaway Ok, if you follow the listed format, it should work. Some scales will insert a check digit between the sku and the price. Square doesn’t allow for this. 

Message 23 of 46
Beta Member

Could you please explain how you have the item parameters setup?

I'm using the square terminal with the LS2208 barcode scanner. My barcodes are EAN-13 with the price embedded. I haven't been able to successfully get this working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Message 24 of 46
Beta Member

Scanning price-embedded barcodes currently only works with the iPad standard POS app in a Square Stand. I have several Square Registers and it does not work there although it allegedly is coming. Are you using an iPad with the standard Point of Sale app?

Message 25 of 46
Beta Member

I have the square terminal with the usb hub to connect the scanner. I don't use an ipad.

Message 26 of 46
Beta Member

Even though Square's documentation states this should work on Square Terminal, it doesn't. It does work on the iPad version and we use it extensively every day.

Message 27 of 46
Beta Member

The Deli Label system we use has an option to print a label with all the normal info but then just a standard Code 128 barcode. The barcode would scan with your terminal scanner and retrieve the item from the catalog. The user would then need to manually enter the item weight that is printed on the label. This is not an fast and easy as scanning a price-embedded barcode but it might be a workaround until that functionality is available.  

Message 28 of 46
Beta Member

Thank you for the info. This is how I am currently doing it by typing in the weight after scanning. 

Would you be able to provide a few images of your barcodes so I can compare it to what I have and see if there is something I need to change.

Thanks 

Message 29 of 46
Beta Member

Sure, please email me and I send you a few pics of our labels.

keith@plmcrk.com

Message 30 of 46

We are a Buther/Deli and would be very happy to get this figured out. We discussed this with Square just the other day and they still have no answer for this process. Using CAS LP-1000 scales, printing an EAN-13 barcode from the scale, 13 digit barcode.

The first 2 digits are 02. The next 5 are the SKU. The next 5 are the PRICE (Max is 999.99). The last should be discarded.

When scanning the barcode the screen reads either: "Not Valid" and shows either the 2 with the 5 digit barcode or the entire barcode. We wonder if a Gap Barcode would help the terminal read the barcode better.

I found this article from M&M POS from 2019 about this issue with their POS. 

https://www.mmwirelesstech.com/blog/WorkingwithCASLabelPrintingScalesinMMPOS.html

Message 31 of 46
Beta Member

Deli Label will work with any Square system although Terminal and Register are limited in that they do not yet scan price-embedded barcodes. I have been pressing Square on why this doesn't work when their documentation states it does. 

One workaround option is to print a label with all the normal info but then just a standard Code 128 barcode. The barcode would scan with your terminal scanner and retrieve the item from the catalog. The user would just need to manually enter the item weight that is printed on the label. This is not as fast and easy as scanning a price-embedded barcode but it might be a workaround until that functionality is available in Terminal and Register. Deli Label includes a label format like this. You would still gain significant value in having your label printing database syncing with Square. 

Message 32 of 46

We sell product by weight as well and have Square Register. Is there any update on this from Square? We have a work around, but they are still time consuming and allows for errors as our team members have to manually enter the weight. With the holiday season coming up I am hoping that ther would have been some development to just simple scan the barcode…. 😬

Message 33 of 46
Square Community Moderator

At this our team is working hard on releasing this functionality to the Square Register @Riverdel. if you haven't done so yet I would subscribe to the Product Updates page here in the Seller Community so you can stay current with everything that is being rolled out.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 34 of 46

Could I ask you what is your workaround that you use with Square register?  How does it work?

Message 35 of 46

Could I ask you what is your workaround that you use with Square Register? How does it work?

Message 36 of 46
Beta Member

I switched to the square stand and it works perfectly with price embedded barcodes. 

Message 37 of 46
Beta Member

What scale are you using? 

Message 38 of 46
Beta Member

ishida wm-ai

Message 39 of 46
Beta Member

Square Register running the Standard Point of Sale app now works with price-embedded barcodes. You need to toggle on the “New Experience” in the settings tab. We use it everyday for scanning price-embedded barcodes. For our scales, I use the Deli Label system which syncs with our Square catalog. We also use it for all our other labeling needs (shelf labels, non-weight items, small barcode labels, etc). The combination of Square & Deli Label makes a really efficient system that saves us a lot of time and hassle. 

Message 40 of 46

Whereabouts in the menu system of the Square Standard Point of Sale app do I find the "New Experience" setting?

Message 41 of 46
Beta Member

You should find it at the top of the Settings/Checkout page. Here is a link to Square's documentation on it. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7232-reintroducing-square-point-of-sale

Message 42 of 46