x

Will Square recognize a variable-weight barcode label printed by a CAS-1000 scale?

I have a specialty food shop and we sell cheese by weight. We've been weighing individual pieces and then entering items into Square POS in hundredth of a pound units (i.e., if something is $20/lb, we set the price as $0.20 each and enter 50 units for .50 pound sold). This is time consuming, and I'd like to get a label-printing scale that I can program with item weights and print barcode labels. 

But when I scan those labels, will Square recognize info about the item and the weight? I need to be able to keep track of inventory sold, so if scanning won't work then it's not worth investing in the scale.

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

This is great to hear. How is it with syncing inventory? Are decimal places supported? Ie: I sold 2.5 pounds of fish out of 5 so inventory should read 2.5 and not 2 or 3 like Shopify does. 

Message 43 of 46
Beta Member

You can set the number of decimal places to the precision level you want. We use 0.00 or hundredth and all the reports and inventory are tracked by hundredth of a lb. 

Message 44 of 46

@Keithz Do you sell online? I sell fish by the pound online, but when a customer orders 1 pound they get .95 of a pound or usually something greater (1.10) of a pound. When we fulfill their orders, we have to edit them and invoice for the difference. This is possible in Shopify but I have read it is not supported by square (Weebly) yet. I may still switch to square for pos and keep Shopify for online for this reason. For inventory synching we will have to use SKU IQ or some similar product. Would love to have an all-in-one solution and we like square better, they don't charge for every single thing, although I see they are trending that way. 

Message 45 of 46

I want to use a barcode scanner connected to Square Register to read a barcode label printed on a price calculating scale CAS5200.

The barcode label printed by the scale will be in the UPC-A format as described in this document:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7419-scanning-bar-codes-from-label-printing-scales-on-point-...

It will contain the 5 digit SKU field and 5 digit price.

I know from reply #40 by KEITHZ that this works now on Square Register if the "New Experience" is turned on.

Question:

What do I need to specify in the Square Online software when creating an item sold be weight for the barcode printed by the scale to be correctly recognised by Square Online software?

Obviously, I need to put the matching SKU - the same as programmed into the scale.

But what else?  What options?   What variations?

What do I need to do on the new Square Online interface aka "New Experience".

Lets consider this example:

Kabana:   SKU#:  88888     Price: $20/kg    Sold by weight with resolution of 1 g.

My apologies for the naive question.

I am not yet in a position to try this myself, as our hardware has not arrived yet.

Message 46 of 46