x

Will the Square lightning adapter fit into an iPhone covered with Otterbox Defender cover?

I have an iPhone 8 and was considering the Otterbox Defender case. Will the Square lightning adapter fit through the port in this case? I know the magstripe reader never fit into the headphone jack in my old iphone with the Otterbox Defender case. It wasn't long enough. Thanks! Sometimes I need to use the magstripe reader because some customers don't have a chip card yet.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @rockyraku, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Our Lightning Adapter for the Square Reader*, probably will not work with your Otterbox case. The adaptor doesn't leave much clearance for a case.

You could probably use the adapter your iPhone came with! The reader will swing since it's a longer cable, but it will still let you swipe credit cards! 

If you have any questions please let me know! 😃

*Update 2018: We're no longer selling the Lightning Adapter for the Square Reader, but you can buy a Square magstripe reader that connects to your iOS device via the lightning port insetad!

Although the neck on the new magstripe readers is slightly longer, if you have a thick case on your device you may need to remove the case, or use the adapter that came with your iPhone to connect the reader to your phone!

Message 2 of 5

Thank you, Chad! I actually just found that adapter today when I was looking at the new earbuds that came with the phone. I love the Defender cases, but you are right, they don't give much space around the port access points.

Message 3 of 5

I want to use my magstripe reader to process payments but in order to get the magstripe reader to work, I have to remove my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 & S9) from it's protective case (OtterBox Defender). Is there a way to connect a cord to the headphone jack and then plug the magstripe reader into that? Or, can the magstripe reader plug in to the NFC/Chip reader?

Thanks,
Dan

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

there are headphone jack extenders.  it will be trial and error to see which one will still fit your phone with the case on.  thankfully you don't need the magstripe reader much if you have the NFC/chip reader that will do 95% of your sales via Bluetooth.

Message 5 of 5