x

adding a processing fee to a transaction

Is there a method to automate add a service charge/processing fee to a transaction at a pos?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Hi @scsa155! There isn't currently a method to automatically add a service charge to a sale at your POS. I know a nearby business has their processing fee (set using the service charge feature) assigned to the item grid on their iPad for easy access, they just add items to the sale and then tap the processing fee to add it to the transaction. 

Prior to the service charge feature a very common workaround was to create a surcharge as a sales tax. This would allow it to be automatically added to a sale. Here's how you'd do it: 

1. Create a sales tax called Processing Fee or Surcharge (I think there might be some legal requirements on the name). 
  2. Set the percentage to the correct amount. 
  3. Apply it to all items.
  4. Save your changes. 

I have to stress that there are a number of legal requirements around card surcharges, to the point where it's just not worth it for many business (such as my own) to pass the processing fees to my customers. I highly recommend looking into your state's laws, and you also have to file a form with Visa and MasterCard. There's some info about it at the bottom of this support article

Message 2 of 4

I have done this and it doesn’t change the amount at checkout 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Kara121 👋

Sorry to hear you've had trouble setting up the steps @londontea shared. Since this post was originally made, we've introduced service charges, which you can by following the steps in this guide. Please let us know how you go! 

Message 4 of 4