x

default cookie banner not showing on new website??

Just published new site, but can't see the default/automatic cookie banner.

What am I missing?

Message 1 of 19
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

There was actually some changes made a while back and instead of the default banner, the option to add a third-party cookie banner was introduced. While we recommend OneTrust (there is a free version for OneTrust that will let you generate a cookie banner as well), I know other sellers have had success using other companies like CookieBot. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Have you got a link? 

Iโ€™m not really clued in to all the code etc. But could it be that because youโ€™ve already agreed to the banner on a square.site site itโ€™s not showing you it again? 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 19

Good thinking 400.

However, just tried from a different computer and ISP - still no cookie notification.

The website is https://staysafemarine.square.site/

Message 3 of 19
Admin

Hi @Resolve, I just want to double-check, have you add a cookie banner to your website yet? This is a handy article on how you can add one. The cookie banner here now replace the default cookie banner that was there previously. 

Tra
Message 4 of 19

Thanks for the response Tra.

We have not added the 3rd party cookie banner, as we did not want to sign up with a third party (and any additional costs).

However, we were under the impression that the default cookie banner would automatically activate.

Is this no longer the case?

Message 5 of 19
Admin

Best Answer

There was actually some changes made a while back and instead of the default banner, the option to add a third-party cookie banner was introduced. While we recommend OneTrust (there is a free version for OneTrust that will let you generate a cookie banner as well), I know other sellers have had success using other companies like CookieBot. 

Tra
Message 6 of 19

Tra.

Now we know the default/automatic cookie banner no longer exists, we will have to take a look at third party offerings.

As it is a legal requirement, not including a cookie banner within the website builder is something of a surprise.

Thanks for your help Tra.

Message 7 of 19

If the third party option of a free cookie banner (for one domain) is used on a Square sub domain, is it correct that when upgrading to your own domain you would then have to pay a subscription for the cookie banner?

This could result in the monthly banner subscription being more expensive than the monthly website subscription, and may be a disincentive to upgrade.

We know you don't have to start with a sub domain, but people like to test the water first.

Message 8 of 19
Admin

Hi @Resolve! The option to add a cookie banner is available to all Square sellers, regardless of whether they use a custom domain or a Square sub-domain. I'm not too familiar with how third-party partner charge for using their cookie banner but I'm sure there should be an option to swap out the domain so you can still remain on the free version if needed. 

Tra
Message 9 of 19

Thanks for your response Tra.

Can't see any third-party option to swap out the domain, and after the free domain they can cost over ยฃ400 per year.

However, we will continue to evaluate the options.

Building the website was a surprisingly good experience, it's just a pity to hit such an unexpected obstacle at the last hurdle.

Thanks again for your kind attention.

Message 10 of 19

Hi sorry to jump in but I did a search and this thread came up.

I am trying to add cookie banner to my site. I do not see the website - intergration option anywhere, has it been moved/deleted.

How do I get the default banner?

Thanks so much and please let me know if I must start a k=new thread, Thanks.

Message 11 of 19
Admin

Hey @Peechy, welcome to the Seller Community!

We made some changes to the menu bar recently and the integration tab is now under Site Settings > Tracking Tools.

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 09.51.18.png

I hope this will help!

Tra
Message 12 of 19

Thanks so much for your help.

Is there now a default banner that we can use?

Am I correct in thinking that it is mandatory to have cookie banner? If so is a default banner/popup  available as standard and if one wished to use their own/third party they could do so?

Message 13 of 19
Admin

Hey @Peechy! In the European Union, websites and apps that store or access information on a userโ€™s device (e.g. through cookies) must ask for and obtain their explicit consent to do so. This post goes into a bit more details in regards GDPR and cookie consent for European countries.

To have a cookie banner pop-up, you'd need to add one to your Cookie Banner tab above. If you run into any issue while adding the code there, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Tra
Message 14 of 19

Ok, Thanks so much for your help! I'll check the post and have a try at adding code. Thanks again.

Message 15 of 19

Hiya, I have been trying for a bit but for some reason the "learn more" link is always wrong. The code is correct but for some reason it links to www."my website".co.uk/www."my website".co.uk/privacy-policy.

Which as expected opens to a 404 page

No matter how many times I try, Even used 2 different banners with different code... still the same thing.

I used a HTML fixing site incase and still the same thing.

Do you know why the double website thing is happening please.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Message 16 of 19
Super Seller

Can you attach the code in here, Iโ€™ll edit it to link correctly : ) 

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 17 of 19

Hiya, thanks so much for your help, if you can tell me how to fix the coding that would be so great!! I have a few codes that are off and this way I can fix them all without bothering you to do them all (hate to take the mic) Plus I do have a feeling I will be doing more in the future and deffo don't want to have to bother you then also.

Message 18 of 19
Super Seller

Itโ€™s a bit hard to just explain whatโ€™s wrong at the moment, without seeing any code, if you want to put one of the code snippets here I can give you a guide as to what I did fixing it, or you can go to https://mjdonline.square.site/contact-us and leave us an email and Iโ€™ll go through it with you as well as attaching useful links for learning HTML 

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 19 of 19