x

domain transfer from square

Hi! I set up an online store through square, but I am having second thoughts about this platform. I purchased a domain name through weebly. My payment method has expired so I am not actually paying for it anymore (as of this month). So, I tried to get the name on godaddy but it said it was taken. I feel certain it is still under my square account but I cannot get in touch with anyone at customer service (I can't even find someone to talk to other than the useless bot). Basically, I want to own the name on another platform but it doesn't look like I can unless I pay a broker. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Susan

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

HI, your domain is still with Square.  If you still have access to your Square account you can change your DNS settings within your Online Dashboard to your new URL.  The domain name does not need to be moved, it can remain with the domain provider for the duration of its lifetime.  IF you wish to change where the domain resides, it can take up to 14 business days for any change/transfer.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Best Answer

HI, your domain is still with Square.  If you still have access to your Square account you can change your DNS settings within your Online Dashboard to your new URL.  The domain name does not need to be moved, it can remain with the domain provider for the duration of its lifetime.  IF you wish to change where the domain resides, it can take up to 14 business days for any change/transfer.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 8

Thank you, Terri! I was thinking about moving it to go daddy's service because it is much cheaper than $16/month. that Weebly was charging. However, when I plug it into go daddy's website, it says that the domain name is taken (obviously, that is by me!). I "unlocked" the registrar lock thinking that would help but it isn't available yet. I think it's only been about a week so maybe that's not enough time. FYI, I have no experience with domain names and building websites, etc., so please be gentle with me and speak as simply as possible! lol!!

Susan

Message 3 of 8

HI, example: domain is purchased at godaddy, the domain can stay with godaddy for the life of the domain.  You would access the dashboard to the DNS settings where your website is hosted.  There is no need to search for the domain since you already purchased it.  

Where is your domain hosted and where is your store hosted?

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 8

thanks for the quick response! I started making a website on Square and the domain was set up with weebly. I was paying $16/month for it there. Then my credit card expired so I haven't been able to pay the monthly fee to weebly (which I think is technically also Square). 

I have since started setting up a website with Shopify instead of Square. Does the domain name get transferred to Shopify? I'm not quite clear on how this works. I don't want to lose the name by not paying for it to whomever is supposed to get my money. haha

Message 5 of 8

HI, to understand you owe money for the domain to Weebly which is Square.  You would need to pay all fees before requesting the domain for Shopify.  If you do not pay the past and late fees, they will not release the domain to you.  Once paid in full you can to request the domain be assigned to Shopify.  A domain transfer can take 7 to 15 business days.

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 6 of 8

Hi-How exactly do you change the DNS within the online dashboard? It's not super obvious. I've been trying, and cannot figure it out. Can you maybe put the instructions out there in a format where each step is listed, for people who are not at all savvy with this type of thing? 

Message 7 of 8

HI, hopefully this Square Support page will help.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6916-connect-your-domain-with-square-online-store

Hope this helps.
TERRI
Message 8 of 8