x

e Refund To Gift Card

We had a client return product. She had used a gift card to purchase originally. Our policy is returns go onto gift cards, no cash returns. It refunded it to the original gift card used to purchase the product. Unfortunately, we have already turned that gift card around and loaded it for another client. Is there a way to remove the refunded amount from the gift card even though we don't have the gift card in hand? I can only find a way to clear the whole balance, not a portion. 

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Currently there's not a way to clear a partial amount on a gift card. Tough because there's not a perfect way to clean this up without clearing the full amount issued to your other customer. 

In my opinion, I would just issue a new gift card to the returning customer. Load the amount with a 100% discount applied. 

@ReginaClose

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Best Answer

Currently there's not a way to clear a partial amount on a gift card. Tough because there's not a perfect way to clean this up without clearing the full amount issued to your other customer. 

In my opinion, I would just issue a new gift card to the returning customer. Load the amount with a 100% discount applied. 

@ReginaClose

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

A customer wanted a refund but no longer had the original gift card that was used.  I tried to refund to a different gift card but was not allowed by system.  When I selected refund and swiped the new card, it automatically credited the original card which has been subsequently used with another customer.  I wound up giving the customer cash to keep her happy. 1.  How can I issue a refund when the original gift card is no longer available?  2.  How can I edit the gift card that the system credited with her refund back to the correct amount?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@wawwboutique Take a look at Justin's Best Answer here.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4