x

How can I accept partial payment or split tender with Invoices?

Hi, 

I sent an Invoice from the Point of Sale app to a customer for $72.00.  The customer paid half of her order through the Cash app... which was something new to me.  

I tried to make a note in the invoice, but I ended up marking it as paid.  If I issue a refund, will it refund her the full $72?  She has not paid her entire invoice, nor has she cancelled her order, so a refund is not necessary.  I need to void it somehow.  Is there a way to void a paid invoice?

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Good news @TSSPottery — you can now accept deposits with Square invoices! Head to this Product Update post to get started: Request deposits with Square Invoices. 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 42 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Awesome! Thank you so much. I’ll go hop on that thread instead.  🙂

Message 22 of 49

patiently waiting this. I invoice a lot through paypal instead for this very reason

Message 23 of 49

Looking forward to this upgrade.  This issue has created problems for us since day one of using Square Register.  Please hurry.

Message 24 of 49
Beta Member

I just ran into this issue today. And it was embarassing to not be able to do what I wanted with the customer standing right there and trying to wing it on the spot! I ended up accidentally taking a fake payment with the Other category, then had to duplicate the invoice and try again. Now I have to figure out how to delete a paid invoice! I'm glad to see it may be coming soon!

Message 25 of 49
Beta Member

We take catering orders and we have customers who want to pay in half and pay the rest when they pickup. We don't use invoice so please add this feature to tickets.

Message 26 of 49

This should not be considered a "popular feature" but a critical issue.  Not being able to apply partial payments or customer deposits causes Sales Tax issues. 

Message 27 of 49
Alumni

Exciting news! The Invoices team is testing a beta for partial payments. Find out more or sign up here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Test-Partial-Payments-in-the-Invoices-Request-...

Message 28 of 49

I would like access please

Message 29 of 49

Can you add me to the Beta?

Message 30 of 49
Admin

Hey @JayceeOliver and @aglowxo, if you're interested in the beta—please get in touch with Howard in this thread: Test Partial Payments in the Invoices Request Deposit Beta. Hope this helps get you in the right direction. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 31 of 49

me!

Message 32 of 49
Alumni

Hi @kimpelo - You should comment on the thread I linked above to be added to the beta!

Message 33 of 49

We'd love to join the beta, we've been hoping for this functionality for months! 

Message 34 of 49

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "how do i record a partial payment on an outstanding invoice ?" The author has been notified via email.

Some clients can only send me partial payments on outstanding invoices. how do i record that on square invoices ? 

Message 35 of 49

I'd love to try out partial payments. A lot of my services require a deposit.

Message 36 of 49

I’m interested in being part of the partial payment being a test! 

Message 37 of 49

It would be great if a feature that would allow a reflection of a partial payment within an invoice could be done.  Just wondering, why couldn't the current "Edit" feature which allows you to add a discount be changed to include a partial payment?  Thanks!

Message 38 of 49
Alumni

Hey @JoshMcKoon - Not sure if you've seen @katieand's post on the first page of the thread, but the Partial Payments for Invoices feature is in development. Check out her post for more information on the early access program.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 39 of 49

I'm interested!

Message 40 of 49

I would like to try this beta.

Message 41 of 49
Admin

Best Answer

Good news @TSSPottery — you can now accept deposits with Square invoices! Head to this Product Update post to get started: Request deposits with Square Invoices. 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 42 of 49